How do I run a script(?) as administrator?

vhawk

in this article it says that i should be able to run something in notepad as administrator, but i do not get that option; should I just open and and see if it works?this is the article- am I out of my depth?

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...ll-error-1402-setup-cannot-open-registry-key/

i'm using windows xp home which keeps giving error 1402 when I try to install something called dragon naturally speaking.

might it help if i imported a saved registry from august 2010?

Many programs need to be installed, (or launched), 'as administrator'.
If you have a program to install, and you 'explore' the files that are in it's folder, one of them will be 'setup'.
If you double left-click on it, it will be installed as a 'user'.
But if you right-click on it, you get the option, 'Run as administrator'. If you choose that option, the program will be installed with administrator rights.
The program 'Dragon naturally speaking' is a speech to text word processor, I believe, and if the error code is shown by Windows while you are trying to install it, then you do need to run the setup 'as administrator'.

<snip>
might it help if i imported a saved registry from august 2010?
I don't know what your problem is, but whatever you do, do NOT import your old, saved registry file from 2010. I'd give 95%+ odds that would really screwup your machine

As to your error 1402, what registry key is it complaining about? Or can you provide a snapshot of the error message?

thanks but what I had seen in that article was a bunch of commands I had to copy and paste into note pas and save as reset.cmd and in the picture there was an option in notepad" run as administrator" , but mine didn't have that opyion. however uninstalling the previous installation of dragon and re-installing it did the trick, but it can't hurt me to learn about these things.

thanks for taking an interest but it's all sorted now by un-installing dragon and then re-installing it.

the(I'm not sure of the correct term) script was like this(extract from the article) :)
Now create a new notepad and paste the following code in it;
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
cls
Exit

Rename the notepad to reset and change the extension to cmd, the complete name will become “reset.cmd” as shown in the screenshot below. Run this file as administrator.

when I did all that I did not get the option to run as administrator in the notepad options as it showed in the picture in the article; this was the article:

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...ll-error-1402-setup-cannot-open-registry-key/

maybe I should not mess with things I don't understand

I read it and it's not very good English. You're supposed to right-click the reset.cmd and run that as administrator.

In any case, if your application works, I wouldn't tamper with registry permissions (unless you've checked they're not at default for some reason).

thank you, I tried that but 'run as administrator' was not available in my notepad. it matters not now as the problem was solved by using Dragon's special uninstaller tool and re-installing it. it's working fine now thanks be to chance.I thought I was going to have to re-install xp at one point, so that's a relief. English was the last thing on my mind :)I was clearly meddling in matters beyond my understanding.

These were a good idea
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /setowner=administrators
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /setowner=administrators
but these were a very bad idea
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
Why? because now you've allowed any virus or trojan to have access to the Local Machine and the ROOT classes. There are good reason why Microsoft denies USER access to the registry.

The right way to install (as noted eariler in this thread) is to Run AS the Setup under the Admin login.

The right way to make changes to the registry (assuming that you know what you are doing) is to first use Run As on the command prompt and then in that window just use regedit

thank you very much, fortunately the programme is now working as I had to uninstall it using a special tool and reinstall it again

talking of viruses and things like that is Microsoft Security essentials any good? I can't afford any in the expensive anti-virus programs.

All I can say is, I have used MS Security Essentials, (updates are available x2 per week) and I have had no trouble at all, since installing Windows 7 from the first week it was available. Some will say you get what you pay for, but until I see any reason to change, I will stay with Microsoft S E.

thank you very much for that, that's comfort to me. The chaps that do the physical work on my computer since I have only one hand seemed to think it factory but I'm not sure that they are quite as clever as you chaps on trchspot; they think that the built-in XP firewall is good enough but if I try-that firewall tester thing fromGibson Research Corporation– I forget the name now, it always gets through. ah, now I remember it was called leak test; are there any satisfactory freebie firewalls around?

Back