How Do I Set Up ATA/100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

si007

I tried to change my two hard drives to ATA/100 today but it didn't work (or at least I don't think it did!) At the moment my hard drives are on IDE 1 and my CD-ROM and CDRW are on IDE 2. I disconnected the 40 conductor cable and replaced it with an 80 conductor one and plugged the blue connector into the IDE 3 socket on the motherboard, the black one to the master and the grey one to the slave. When I went into my BIOS no drives were reported but it still managed to boot to Windows afterwards. So, I mucked up somewhere along the line but am not sure where. Also I'm not sure where my CD/CDRW should be plugged into since IDE 1 is free or if the jumper settings of the hard drives needs to be changed. FYI, both my hard drives are capable of using ATA/100.

If someone could run me through this I would really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Si
:cool:

Pentium III 933 MHz
Abit BX133-RAID Mobo
13 and 40 GB Western Digital Hard Drives (ATA/100)
512 MB Ram
ASUS V8200 Geforce 3 Ti 200
SB Live Value
Windows Me

I think it's most likely the jumper settings. The diagram should have been included with your HDD's, but if not you can find them at the manufacturer's website. You could just set them both to Cable Select since the master is plugged into the black and the slave grey.

If you have a true UDMA controller (Whether it be integrated or PCI card), then your drives will not be displayed in your BIOS. The UDMA controller often has its own seperate BIOS that handles drive detection and disk controller fucntions.

This is especailly true with your motherboard (I am familiar with it). It has a seperate BIOS because it uses the Highpoint Technologies 370 RAID controller.

So even though it is not showing up.. It is still working. Honest engine. :)

If you are experiencing abnormal slowness or drive related problems such as 100% CPU usage while copying a CD etc.. Then you may want to get the latest Windows XP drivers from Highpoint Technologies.

Thanks guys for your help. Just one thing I'm still unclear about and that's whether I move my CD-Rom and CDRW from IDE 2 to IDE 1? OK I lied, there's two things I'm not sure about :D Do I need to install the Highpoint Technologies 370 RAID controller even though I will not be using RAID?

Thanks again.

Si
:cool:

I don't think the drives showed up in Windows, Rick. At least that's what I think he's saying...

I went into my BIOS no drives were reported but it still managed to boot to Windows afterwards.
No Vehementi, I believe he said his drives did not show in the BIOS, but if it boots into Windows, then it must be showing in Windows. Yeah?

As to where your CDROMs go, just stick them any old place. It really doesn't matter much. There's a good possiblity they will not work on your UDMA controller though, since RAID has some problems with CDROMs.

You do not have to use your drives in RAID configuration.. Each of the RAID channels act as an ATA/100 channel indpendantly.

Furthermore, installing drivers from highpoint may increase performance or fix any problems you have been having with your disk controllers. However, it can also create new problems, so be careful if you choose to install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back