How do i set up internet on my new computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you read this and think im a complete n00b, but i just find the whole networking thing completely confusing. what i want to know is how do i get the internet on my new computer? currently i have a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router which is attached to my main computer via ethernet cable with one usb port left. the problem is posed in the form of; i have an ethernet cable going from my computer in my room to my main computer in my living room but the ethernet cable is taken up. what do i do? do i buy a switch box or a modem router and how do i know whether or not broadband will work with Vista? please could some one save me from this internet-less hell!!

well to clarify, when you say

i have an ethernet cable going from my computer room to my main computer in my liing room but the ethernet cable is taken up

does this mean you have the two computers connected to each other, or you have an ethernet cable running from your modem (which is in your room) to your main computer in you living room?

GameJunkie72792 said:
well to clarify, when you say

does this mean you have the two computers connected to each other, or you have an ethernet cable running from your modem (which is in your room) to your main computer in you living room?

No this means that my modem in my font room is attached to the computer in the front room via ethernet. the ethernet for my comp is not attached to anything because the ethernet slot is taken up by the comp in the front room. there is a free usb slot but usb connections are crap for internet. my friend has said i could just get a switch box?? but i just have no idea what to do with all the wires and whether or not to re-install my modem in my fron room and run it off usb?

Connect the LAN port from the BT 205 to a router and all your systems
then connect to the new device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back