How do I setup my new computer?

By II WinDScaR II
Aug 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. how do setup my new comp? (order I put them together and how to install OS)
    Parts:
    ECS 651C-M Socket 478 SIS 651 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    XFX PVT44AWAMG Geforce 6200 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
    Deskstar 61.4gb HDD
    Bestec 250w Power Supply
    Samsung 512mb PC2700 DDR
    MIC CD-RW/DVD Rom Disk Drive
    H-L CD-RW Disk Drive
    intel Celeron 2.70ghz processor
    windows 2000 OS
  2. urbandragon

urbandragon Newcomer, in training Posts: 336

so you have the parts but do not know how to install them..

your best bet is to find a local person that can guide you through your first build, someone that has done a build before.

we can help via forum but its nothing like having someone there with you help.
  3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

I would start with a good instruction Manual;Stephen J. Bigelow's "Build Your own PC, Pocket Reference" is a great cheap little book. the insert says he has a website at www.dlspubs.com.
    You should have some kind of hardcopy with you as you go.There is much for you to understand and I don't know about the other guys , but I can't do all that typing.
    It isn't brain surgury just take your time and follow the instructions you read.
    If you have some specific problems or Questions come back here.
    You will get Help.
    Enjoy
  4. wirm

wirm Newcomer, in training Posts: 91

It sounds a bit like he's talking about hardware. He wants a step-by-step process for putting together the parts, and ending with the installation of Win2k.

By the way, I don't know much about non-pci video cards :p but I believe the GeForce 6200 needs a 300Watt power supply.

I'm the last person you want to talk to about putting together hardware, but here's a link: Guide
  5. urbandragon

urbandragon Newcomer, in training Posts: 336

Yup..after rereading his post i kinda figured that out.... big DOH on my part....

I also agree with you on his power supply a 250Watt is kinda pushing it.. I wouldn't recommend anything under 350 Watts, would actually go with something more like a 400/450 Watt at a minimum.
  6. II WinDScaR II

II WinDScaR II Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Is this one good enough/compatable?

RAIDMAX RX-420K ATX12V 420W Power Supply 100 - 240V TUV, UL, CSA, CE, FCC, CB
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.