How do I take WIN2000Pro from old laptop and put on new laptop- No CD came with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old compaq came with WIN2000 pro, but the screen burned out, so I use a monitor.
I want to buy a new computer and install the WIN2000Pro system on it from the old computer. I feel I do not need a new license since I am replacing the computer, but want to keep the software and files.
Any advice is appreciated.

You could use Drive Image to burn an image of your current W2K on CDs and "copy" that onto the new laptop.
BUT, the new laptop will have different hardware, so it may or may not work. You would have to replace any and all hardware-references in Device-Manager in any case, and make sure you install all the drivers from the new laptop. Make sure you get a driver-CD with it!
The new laptop probably comes with XP pre-installed, which in its latest version with SP2 is much better suited for laptops than W2K ever was or will be.
Use the occasion to freshly install only the programs you need, and transfer all user-data via network, once the new laptop is up and running.
You could also check out if www.laptopspares.com has a new screen for your laptop (or buy a used one of the same type on Ebay for spares)

Is that copy of Win2k Pro, Oem or Retail. If retail, you can go here for replacement disks . www.microsoft.com, Article # 326246.
If you registered and/or can provide proof of ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back