TechSpot

How do I transfer files between laptop and desktop?

By steve257
Aug 16, 2003
  1. I need to transfer files between a laptop and desktop (A one-off task). Will a simple cable with a USB at each end do ... or do I also some sort of software in addition to the cable ..or even a special data cable?

Thanks,
    sleepy

2. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

USB won't do (unless special software, and maybe also special cables are used), but either a firewire, or RG45 network cable would be best (there are other options also). Other things you could do are to copy the files to a disk or external drive, then transfer to the desktop. Email is another option.

3. aenimaxx

aenimaxx TS Rookie

yeah i would just get a networking crossover cable if both computers had a NIC card...that's the best method of data transfer. however, if u dont have a NIC card u could just burn your data to cd-r's.

4. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

What OS are these machines running? In XP you can set up a direct connection using USB and the network connection wizard. You can also do it in 2k I believe. And 98 would do this using serial and parallel cables. The procedure is a little different in 9x and may need to be installed from the OS disc if it isn't already on the system.

I've been using this method between desktops for years and don't see any reason for it to not work with a laptop.

5. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,574

From what that says it sounds like connecting via USB direct connect shouldnt be a problem, so what you should have to do is connect the desktop and laptop via the USB cable, then go into the Network Wizard and setup the connection as Direct Connect.

6. Lineman

Lineman TS Rookie

Good info

Thank all of you for the info. I have a good idea what to do now.

Ron

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.