How do i transfer Stuff to PC TO PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

hello every1, im sure i put this in the rong place so mods feel free to move. Well my computer is connected to my dads computer threw a router(home network(. So i was wondering can we share files? And how do we do it.

If you are networked for it, and have file and printer sharing enabled and in the same workgroup (default is mshome), then provided that evereything is working correctly and the firewalls don't interfere, it's just a matter of going to "my network places", and clicking the "view workgroup computers" link on the details pane. Double click your dads computer (or he doubleclicks yours) and select the folder you want to share with (usually the shared documaents folder is already there for sharing.

To share other folders, right click them, go to properties, and tick the right boxes on the sharing tab.

ok got it but i cant find my network places on my dads pc ( i got it on mine) , i looked everywere.

My network places can also be seen as a detials pane link in the "network connections" page.

No shared folders? you mean in "view workgroup computers"?

Never mind. Either your network isn't set up correctly, or you have a firewall interfereing. As a temporary measure, disable firewalls on both computers (including the integrated windows firewall) and check again.

Spike said:
My network places can also be seen as a detials pane link in the "network connections" page.

No shared folders? you mean in "view workgroup computers"?

i meant the shared folders were in my network connetions on miy pc, and in network connections , my network connections arnt there either..?!

Ok i got it, k lets take my dads pc out of the picture now, Everything is set up there now. But my pc is a windows 2000, with no wizard to do it for me(like my dads xp) So how would i set it up now on my pc?

have you connected the router to your computer??????????

sounds like a dumb question, but you wouldn't believe how many times ppl make mistakes like that

Ah, I'm no win2k expert, so I'll have to leave that to someone else. I could do it if I was in front of it to look through it all etc, but I'm not.

Win2000 is the same in networking as xp with a few less bells and whistle's
ms networking
w2k is easyer at security config then xp
tons more stuff if you google your brains out you will be networking wizard

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
have you connected the router to your computer??????????

sounds like a dumb question, but you wouldn't believe how many times ppl make mistakes like that

yes everything is connected. What can i do?

Ok lets try to figure this out,

1 - Go to your computer "Control Panel"
2 - Double Click "System"
3 - Then Select Tab "Computer Name"
4 - Then click on the button that is on the right of the sentence "To change the name of this computer...", the button caption is "Change..."
5 - Change the computer name to your first name for example, and on the frame "Member of", select option WorkGroup and then give it a name (ex: " HOUSE")
6 - Then OK
7 - Ok again

Wait until the computer makes the changes and the system window disapear.

1 - Now on the "Control panel", click "Network Connections"
2 - Right click on "Local Area Network" and choose "Properties"
3 - Now on the list names "This connection uses....", select if not selected:
- "Microsoft network client"
- "Share files and printes on microsoft networks"
4 - Click OK

Wait until every thing is done again.

Now go to your dads computers and do the same, just change the compuer name to a different one, but do not change the workgroup that must be the same. In some cases you must reboot the computer, do it.

Besides the fact that are different OS, in fact the XP is an improvement "or not in my opinion" of the W2k, but the management menu's are the same.

I hope i have helped in some way, any question just ask.

Regards
Nuno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back