TechSpot

How Do I Video Capture

By Mook
Jul 3, 2003
  1. Can anybody help me out. I want to record programs from cable tv or a vhs onto VCD. The guys at the computer shop tell me I need a video capture card, a good cheap one might have the Pinnacle brand but nobody at the shop has any actual experience having succesfully recorded anything. They also say I need lots of hard disk space for a 2 hour film or so.

Am not much tech-oriented, so I'd appreciate layman-type explanations please. I'm also looking for an inexpensive card, just for to make simple vcd's. What kind of software should I use or does it come with the card. Also can I record from VHS with this.

Hope somebody here can help out. Thanks in advance.

Lisa :)

2. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

Look at this thread. There is a link there that might be of some help.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

I have a cheap Pinnacle TV-card (PCTV Rave), and it works beautifully. With VirtualDub, you can capture 768x576 @ 25 fps (PAL here) using lossless Huffyuv codec and then compress it to XviD or whatever you want. Yes, it takes a lot of disk space, about 700MB - 1 GB / minute, depending on what kind of video you're capturing, ie. if there is a lot of motion and small details.

Naturally, all this requires CPU power (1 GHz+) and a fast hard disk, 7200rpm ones should do.

4. Mook

Mook TS Rookie Topic Starter

Whoa, if I'm going to be ripping, say, an entire movie (let's fix it at 120 mins), does that mean I need 120 GB to allow for all of it? Where the h*ll am I gonna find a disk like that? Must cost a fortune too. LOL

Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers.

Lisa :)

5. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

120GB aren't that expensive as they were 6 months ago. I would recommend a Western Digital Caviar(WD1200JB) 120GB with 8mb memory cache which would cost you approx $108 from www.newegg.com. It also comes with a handy 3 yr warranty.

6. Mook

Mook TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh, ok. Never looked at how much the bigger ones cost before, so there. What's the biggest hdd I can have, by the way. A terabyte? Ooooh, this is gonna take a lot of brain work I think, just to be able to rip videos. But fun too huh. lol

Thanks all.

Lisa

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.