How do I wipeout my system drive and start all over fresh - Win XP - SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having probelms with my system. I think some program via the net got on the machine. It doing strange things - like rebooting without me doing anything. I just want to start over on the system drive. I am running Windows XP - Home and i have installed the SP2. I need some help in redoing my system.

When I was running Windows 98, this task was easy to perform. Any help will be greatly appreicated.

Kever Conyers
Memphis, TN

Try doing a Non Destructive System Recovery. What type of Pc are you using? I know for mine (HP), I just restart my computer and when the blue screen comes up with the HP logo, i press f10. Then I can choose Non Destructive System Recovery. That option reinstalls windows xp but keeps all your settings, data, pictures, etc. Try that. Let me know if that helps or not :eek:

Thanks for the input but it did not work. I am trying to clear off my hard drive and re-install windows 98 then windows xp (upgrade).

kever said:
I am having probelms with my system. I think some program via the net got on the machine. It doing strange things - like rebooting without me doing anything. I just want to start over on the system drive. I am running Windows XP - Home and i have installed the SP2. I need some help in redoing my system.

When I was running Windows 98, this task was easy to perform. Any help will be greatly appreicated.

Kever Conyers
Memphis, TN

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go into your bios and set the boot sequence to floppy/cdrom/hdd

If you haven`t got a floppy drive then just cdrom/hdd

Put your Windows cd into your cdrom and save and exit bios.

When your system restarts you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd. Press any key and follow the onscreen instructions

Make sure to delete all partitions then create a new partition and format it.

During the installation process your computer will reboot whereupon you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd.

DO NOT press any key otherwise this will just start the whole process of installation over again.

Here is a complete guide on how to install Windows XP.

http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks - for the input - I will try it again - I went thru the same steps but must of missed a step or two - I will let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back