TechSpot

How do you connect multiple speakers using 2 different outputs from reciever to comp?

By dtrainor
Feb 27, 2007
  1. I have a home stereo system 4 speakers and a sub that I want connected to my computer. The problem I'm having is that while I want those connected, I also want a set of computer speakers connected as well so I can switch to them when playing games or what not then switch over to the home stereo system (from cd to aux or whatever, just a different input) when blasting music. All I know is that the one output works or whatever (green one) but I don't know if I can use another output or input. I have about 6 audio jacks in my comp with a RealTek soundcard. Can ne one help me?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Most computer and audio shops have "mixer" connectors... but if you want to have separate volume controls for each set, you need to get fancy. Buy a control box designed for the purpose... acts the same way a preamp does... usually about $30 to $40.

3. dtrainor

dtrainor TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok, but can't i just plug one set into one input and the other into a different one so i can just switch the input from one to another (ie: cd to aux or whatever)? Save some money...

4. foozy

foozy TS Rookie Posts: 139

If your case has front audo ports then plugging headphones into those usually switches sound output from your rear port to the front. I don't know if I've ever used it with speakers, but I assume it would work.

Plug the stereo system to the rear and keep your computer speakers unplugged in front of your computer - when you want to switch, plug them into the front.

I'm not sure if you can use both at the same time though. A control box would probably be the most convenient option.

5. dtrainor

dtrainor TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alright, thanks. I'll see if i have a front port for headphones. If not I guess i'll get the box thing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.