Status
Not open for further replies.

captnubby

I have Vista Ultimate installed on my C drive and XP Pro on my D drive
Toshiba laptop.
Processor 1.83 GHz
Ram 1023 MB
32-Bit Operating system
I am thinking about deleting the Vista from my C drive. What would be the correct method of doing this? Once I delete Vista would I need to reinstall XP Pro on my C drive or could I just switch the two drive letters.
Dean

Best guess

I have never tried dual boot,but see if add/remove can do it.
But wait a while for more knowledgeable replys.

Add/remove probably won't work - easiest way is to reformat the partition you don't want. However, this may screw up your booting. Which partition is your boot partition? I would guess it is Vista...if you get the Vista bootloader, you will need to set the XP partition as active before reformatting. To do that, boot into XP, right-click on my computer and go to manage. You should see a disk management menu. Make sure the XP partition is marked as active. You should then be able to just reformat the Vista partition and XP will see it as another partition.

I don't think you will need to worry about the drive letters. I believe whichever version of Windows you boot into automatically claims C: for itself. So, if you have XP running, it will be on the C: drive; Vista, it will be on the C: drive. I don't believe Windows can run on another letter (I may be wrong). Give that a whirl...make sure to back up everything you need - messing around with dual booting is tricky and very easy to bork up. Good luck...

Tricky, not what I'd call it

It took me screwing up the Vista boot registry (see my first post) My laptop was down for three days until I got back home and got the Vista disk. Even then it took alot of trial and error. I give all the credit for the help to this site.I have both of them working togther but I can't use Vista at work ( see other post ). If I can find a way around the 2003 server issue I would keep Vista. It has some issues but should get better with time. I almost forgot Vista boots from C and XP boots from D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back