TechSpot

How do you do this?

By TimeParadoX
Nov 24, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I got alot of processes running at once and they arnt nessecary to run my computer ( Msn.exe, Itunes.exe and alot of other stuff ) I wanted to know if I can delete them for good and leave them off so when I turn on my computer they dont start up and take all my CPU usage so I dont have to Ctrl + alt + delete and take them off all the time
  2. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

the easiest way to stop most programs from starting automatically with windows is: goto START > RUN > TYPE "MSCONFIG" (without the quotes), click the startup tab, and disable the ones you don't want

if there are still processes that you want to disable but aren't listed in the startup tab of MSCONFIG, then you can right-mouse click on "my computer" > select "manage" > expand "services and applications" > highlight "services" > double click on any service you want to disable, or change to manual. only change services that you know you don't need, if you aren't sure what it does, or aren't sure if it's necessary then I would recommend leaving it alone ;) (some services are required for windows to function properly)

cheers :wave:
  3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 2,438

I know the services that need for windows to run but thanks for you reply =)

Im basicly turning off the stuff I dont use like MSN =P
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.