How do you get rid of cookies on a Mac?

By Rufus17
Jul 21, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey,

How do you get rid of cookies on a Mac? Also, how do you clear out any unwanted files. I use to know how to do it but I forget...

Aloha,
    Tara
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

Assuming you are using the Safari web browser, do this:

"you can reset Safari totally (empty cache, forms, passwords, cookies, etc) by using the Reset Safari... option in the Safari menu.

If you're just after cookies, look at Safari preferences -> Security -> Show Cookies.

If you're after stored passwords, look in Keychain Access (in /Applications/Utilities). You'll find them under Passwords (as Web form passwords)"...
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,250   +213

You can also get a program called Oynx that will clear cookies and lots of other stuff.
  4. ChinoNYC

ChinoNYC Newcomer, in training Posts: 102

Onyx will definitely do the trick... Download the latest version from here at Titanium Software

The first four icons are versions in order from Leopard right on down to Jaguar...

You're welcome... LOL.
  5. Rufus17

Rufus17 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks!!!

Hey,

I did that and my computer seems to be running a lot faster. I deleted all the cookies and it seems better. I will keep you updated :)

Aloha,
    Tabatha
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,025   +221

For Firefox

use the Firefox Menu->Preferences->Privacy Tab
    click show cookies
    you can delete specific(s) or Remove ALL
  7. SNGX1275

For Opera

Tools -> Delete Private Data...
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,002   +710

It Gets the Dirt That Others Leave Behind....!

For the temp files and cookies that can be remain after exiting the browser witness, "CCleaner". http://www.techspot.com/downloads/132-ccleaner.html
    Is FF3.51 supported by Mac? If so, the "privacy mode " dumps everything when closed.

Whoops sorry, I think CCleaner is Windows only.
  9. SNGX1275

Safari has a Private Browsing mode where for most people/practical purposes nothing is kept (although it can be viewed from the Terminal). But this is getting off topic a bit.
  10. Rufus17

Rufus17 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hey,

Nah, nothing is really off topic it relates to cleaning up my mac and knowing what I'm delaing with. So thanks very much:)

Aloha,
    Tara
  11. ChinoNYC

ChinoNYC Newcomer, in training Posts: 102

Glad we could all help you out, Tara.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.