How far do you think I could OC this computer?

By childofthetao
Dec 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. 'm gonna buy and build this system:

Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram 16GB
    i7 4770K
    MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
    H110
    Seasonic 750W PSU

How far do you think I could OC this computer?
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,776   +1,429

3. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,139   +498

Honestly its going to depend on the cooler you purchase for the i7 4770k, the chip gets a little warm running above 4.3 ghz which limits your top achievable clocks. If you get a cooler such as the H100i (Liquid Cooling), you can easily achieve a max overclock in the range of 4.5ghz - 4.8 ghz depending on the luck of the draw on the chip.

Edit: My mistake, I just noticed you said and H110 cooler, then you will be more than ready for 4.6-4.8ghz.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

5. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 879   +170

Make sure that CPU cooler fits your case. It's dimensions are a bit different in comparison to the others in the lineup. I own it and I had to make a small mod to fit it to my HAF 932.
  6. cliffordcooley

7. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 879   +170

According to this page at Corsair, the H110 will not fit in the 550D. Unfortunately, it looks like there are only a few cases that "natively" support the cooler. But, I think most enthusiasts are able to make it work (small mods) with a lot of different cases.
  8. childofthetao

childofthetao TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 207

Oh wow, it won't support the h110? :( Oh well, do you guys know which would be better, the h100i or the h90?

Also, if I want my copmuter to last years (and years) what is the max OC you recommend?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.