TechSpot

How good are ATX12V adapter cables?

By RealBlackStuff
Dec 10, 2004
  1. My PSU does not have the extra 12V cable for Pentium4 (or AMD64).
    I'll be getting an Abit AV8 3rd Eye with AMD64/3200 Winchester 90nm.

PSU: QTechnology ENS-0240QT, 400W, EPS12V capable
    +3.3V = 30A
    +5V = 25A
    Max 200W on +3.3 and +5
    +12V1 = 15A
    +12V2 = 16A
    Max 216W on +12V1 and +12V2
    -5V = 1A
    -12V = 1A
    +5Vsb = 2A

I've seen adapter-cables on the web, are they providing enough and stable enough power, as needed my the mobo? Anybody use one with what result?

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Hi Real....
    I have never used one ,so I am sorry I can't offer you any advice based on experience.But ,I just question as to whether it is worth using one, given the core importance of that power block.Any voltage fluctuations +/- of the specific design parameters can cause all kinds of errors as you well know.
    The upgade you are planning is significant and a compliant PSU is not much money.
    Use the the old equipment for a nice little Backup server,etc.
    Then have a cool one down at the Pub!

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 8,165

Thanks Len,

my good "friends" at Anandtech just answered my question, they approve of the adapter.
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=119

Also, my PSU has the 6-pin AUX adapter, is ATX2.03 compliant and AMD approved. So, problem solved.
    My local PC-shop just gave me the 4-pin cable, cut off a defective PSU, so all I need is put a 4-pin Molex connector on, and Bob is your uncle.
    Off to the pub now..... hic.

4. caveTechie

caveTechie TS Rookie

I built a system with a celeron D and a PCChips motherboard. Had new CPU and board all together and when powered on, the cpu fan and the HD were the only things that came up. Nothing at all on the video. Was told by a couple people that the 2x2 connector was only required for P4's and I likely had a dead mobo. Not at all implausible to me since the Intel heatsink nearly snapped the motherboard in two when I tightened the connectors. (There is still a slight bow in there right now.) As a last attempt, I hacked up a couple of molex connectors and viola. system came up. Word of advice: molex sockets are too big for plugging into the motherboard. If I had a 20-pin connector, I would have taken a hacksaw to it and used that, but I did not, so I just crimped with a pliers until they stayed.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.