How good are you at this test?

By XtR-X
Oct 20, 2003
Post New Reply
  1. http://scifi.pages.at/hackits/ has a series of tests or levels to see how good your logic or knowledge with the web is.

No, it's nothing bad, I know it has the word hackits in it but it's nothing bad.

What it is is a site that tests how much you can figure out or "hack" on the site. You try to figure out the passwords that are in the source code. There are a series of levels, and this site made this area for that reason, to try to "hack" your way to the top.

Give it a try, it's very addicting!
  2. conradguerrero

conradguerrero Newcomer, in training Posts: 357

perhaps u could post tips? lol sry ive never tried this b4 looks like fun...
  3. XtR-X

XtR-X Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,040

All I can say is you can start but looking at the source and studying it. The first 3 have the passwords unencrypted for the most part... 4 has encryption in ASCII, and 5 I'm workin' on.
  4. XtR-X

So have you guys looked into this sorta thing at all? Give it a try... it's addicting.
  5. BrownPaper

BrownPaper Newcomer, in training Posts: 467

it took me a few minutes to do 1-4. i'm working on number 5 right now as well.
  6. BrownPaper

BrownPaper Newcomer, in training Posts: 467

oh it took me a while to figure out five. i get it now.
  7. lalaji

lalaji Newcomer, in training Posts: 155

ok so it took me like an hour to get to number 9... im there and when i solve it i get a 404. Anyone else have this problem?
  8. lalaji

Nevermind guys... its working now.... guess the site was down for a while. On to level 10.
  9. XtR-X

Wow you guys are pretty good... well I need help on 8... any pointers?
  10. lalaji

Hey Xtr, Think of other ways to get around the password. IE try to find the end page without putting in the password. Has nothing to do with source code.
  11. XtR-X

Yeah, that's easy. But I mean... what's the point of "hacking" the password out if you just want to go to the next page?

That's why I'm working for the passwords.

12. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Easiest way to get through it is using Konqueror browser for Linux
  13. lalaji

OK Xtr... youve got a point. So i went back... and figured out the answer to #8. I now know the prompt password. It is more satisfying that way. Good call.
  14. lalaji

And now I am stuck on 10... great.
  15. XtR-X

Addicting, isn't it? :D ;) :grinthumb
  16. lalaji

yeah.... got through 10... when i dled the source file for some reason it was the wrong source... dont know why... eventually got the right one though... now im stuck on 13.... if anyone else is there or past it please lemme know.
  17. Crazy

Crazy Newcomer, in training Posts: 191

I'm no good at this:( any tips on nr 5?

Greets Crazy
  18. Frag-o

Frag-o Newcomer, in training Posts: 23

Any tips for a guy who has never used JavaScript. I am on number 3. :) Maybe I can make it further. ;)

Just figured out 3, on to 4.

19. Spike

Spike Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,371

I am really stuck here, which is annoying. I'm stuck on number 7, and fast running out of ideas.

Having not done this sort of thing much before, It's quite a learning curve!

I'm using mozilla 1.6, and I "saved target as" .txt, thus giving me source.

Problem is, the only part of the source related to the password that I have is

"<!--
    var passwort, i;

//-->"

Which doesn't say a lot other than that there are two variables called "passwort", and "i"

could somebody give me a push in the right direction?
  20. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Is it really the only part? ;)
  21. Spike

Spike Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,371

AH! Thankyou so much :D

I missed that all important line referencing ****.**

Now I can carry on again.

I say again, thanks!
  22. SubKamran

SubKamran Newcomer, in training Posts: 303

I did this a long time ago; isn't there 13 levels? I got to 11 and then it had matrices and junk which I can do but it would take a little effort and I was bored of it :D

I didn't think they were very hard, but that's just me :D
  23. lalaji

there are definitely more than 13 levels. 1-13 are rather easy... but it now has 16 levels. Why not go back and see if you are still up to par? :p
  24. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,382   +15

I got to level8 on my own... 8 has me a tad stumped :(
  25. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,382   +15

ok Im on level11 and could defently do it, because its just previous levels into 1 level [it asks for 5 passwords]...but i dont want to spend this long doing it. Some of the levels are getting really dumb with riddles and such. Your ment to actually "hack" [retreive the password...].....

TIP FOR #10:
    Check your browsers cache

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.