How good is my computer specification for gaming?

I'm building a custom pc and I need to see what everyone thinks. I'll mainly be using this for Minecraft (although other games too) while recording using fraps and I need to keep it at a steady 30 fps at all times while actually recording.

Specs:
Processor: AMD PHENOM II X4 955 (3.20GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard: ASUS® M5A78L-M/USB3: M-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s
RAM: 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card: 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
Memory: 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
PSU: 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

When using fraps you want the recorded video files to be made on a separate HDD than the one that is running the games. As for your computer it should hand just about any game on mid settings.

From whom will you be buying these parts from?

Go with either a 6850 or 6870. The 6770 only has a 128-bit interface while the other two I mentioned have a 256-bit interface.

What resolution will you be playing at? I have a very similar system and don't have any issues with most modern games and run almost all maxed out on 1680x1050. I would also second Routes suggestion of upping that 6770 to something more powerful like a 6850 or even 6870 if you're dealing with 1920x1080 resolution.

And out of curiosity, have you considered some more current generation CPU's? Don't get me wrong the Phenom II x4 955 is solid, but compared to current generation stuff you may be able to do better depending on your overall budget.

Relic is correct: That system will run your games very well not just mid-range especially with the cards suggested.

And he voices what I should have said earlier: If your budget can handle it go with the modern options. If you stick with AMD (good choice) at least consider an 990FX motherboard because they will be able to handle the Bulldozer and you could begin with the 955 and upgrade in the future without having to change out the motherboard.

Back