How Google lost when everyone thought it had won

Archean

How Google lost when everyone thought it had won

Apple-Maps-009.jpg

Apple's maps have turned out to be a hit with iPhone and iPad users in the US - despite the roasting that they were given when they first appeared in September 2012. But Google - which was kicked off the iPhone after it refused to give Apple access to its voice-driven turn-by-turn map navigation - has lost nearly 23m mobile users in the US as a result.

Would make a good case study, as well as perhaps example for others .....

Nothing to see here. Apple users are stereotypically dumb/uninterested/tech-phobic, so they'd just continue to hit the same button called 'Maps'. Google knew this would happen.

No the point for me posting this story is bit different. Just think for a second, IF someone else do the same? For example, the best and closest would be competitor can be Nokia's Here Maps, provided if MS invest heavily in the whole project, and then incorporate it in their Windows OS/WP platform, this could further reduce people's dependence on Google. So, in a nutshell, if someone is willing to spend money/resources they can easily come up with a 'decent' alternative and that could be it.

Edit:
To summarize it, we can also conclude that Google is now starting to close source its software, and maps is not the first in this line.

History has demonstrated that trying to keep exclusivity of popular products damages the proprietor.

For example, the once dominating Digital Computers was using the very good operating system VMS, but kept it closed. So UNIX took and other systems took over. Seeing this, Digital tried to open VMS but it was too late. Something similar happened to Sony with its Betamax video which was actually superior to VHS, yet the latter prevailed because it was virtually open.

Philips on the other hand, who invented the music cassette, allowed others to use its patent and it became a world wide success for many years.

MP3 was at first expensive, but it was broken. The inventor had the sense to drastically reduce rights for use and paradoxically also helped by free piracy, it survived and became a world standard, though it's not the best audio compressor.

Nothing to see here. Apple users are stereotypically dumb/uninterested/tech-phobic, so they'd just continue to hit the same button called 'Maps'. Google knew this would happen.

ad hominem applephobic comments are less than useful. Stick to issues, not users per say :)

Archean I see what you're saying. But remember, Maps is only a small portion of Google traffic!

jobeard Stereotypes exist for a reason. :p The same thing would happen if Samsung/HTC suddenly swapped to another map provider, bundled it with the OS, had a similar logo and Maps description.

In any case, I don't think Google is surprised it lost Maps traffic. Can we assume that (for some reason) not allowing Apple to use turn-by-turn was still worth it for them?

Nothing to see here. Apple users are stereotypically dumb/uninterested/tech-phobic
having a Mac in the house since '87 and a career spanning 37 years, your comment is massively ignorant and off the subject altogether.

having a Mac in the house since '87 and a career spanning 37 years, your comment is massively ignorant and off the subject altogether.

Would it help if I said "the stereotypical apple user is tech-phobic and uninterested"? It's still the case. I know Apple users who are experts do exist - e.g. you.

So why make applephobic comments when you know better? This line of reasoning is just so fallacious...

OK you two, you can give up this pointless off-topic arguing now.

But I did learn the useful Latin term "ad hominem" here. :)

Back