How hard is it to install Memory???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublime1sw

Ok, well i got a new PC that only has 192 mb of ram. Id like to increase that by adding 512 or 1 gb

Id appreciate any help

Thanks

Piece of cake.

Make sure though that your have some free RAM slots (can visually check by opening the cover and looking). Make sure also that you get the right type for your motherboard.

A failsafe way to do that is to remove a piece of ram and take it to the store with you.

Before removing or adding ram, power down your PC and remove all power cords though. Also make sure you ground yourself by touching a part of the case that isn't painted before touching any of the components inside the PC.

To remove the ram, push down on the two tabs (one on either end) and the memory should pop out at you. To put ram in, push the tabs out, line the ram up (they have keys, make sure you have the alignment right), and while pushing down on the ram with your thumbs pull the tabs upwards with your fingers.... be gentle though.

It isn't too hard, but if you exert too much force, you might break something.

If you post what motherboard you have, we might even be able to provide pictures...

tdeg said:
Piece of cake.

Before removing or adding ram, power down your PC and remove all power cords though. Also make sure you ground yourself by touching a part of the case that isn't painted before touching any of the components inside the PC.

I would just like to reinforce what tdge said about proper ESD (elctro static discharge) techniques. RAM is one of the most senisitve pieces of hardware on you PC. Make sure you are grounded before you add in RAM. Other then that adding RAM is one of the easist things you can do!

Sean

BTW-for reliabilites sake, go with tier one RAM (major brands) dont settle for the value bin RAM...lol

Not hard. Its a great place for you to start. Good luck, and don't hesitate to come here for help.

MrGaribaldi said:
It isn't too hard, but if you exert too much force, you might break something.

If you post what motherboard you have, we might even be able to provide pictures...
were can i find what motherboard i have???

There are somethings you need to check firsts.
1. verify that your motherboard suports the capacity of memory you want to install. Some motherboards does not support 1GB of RAM.

2. Check if the additional memory has the same bus speed with the old one. If it does not, it will run but it wont be as fast as you expect it would be. Unmatched memory bus speed contributes to the slowdown of PC's total performance.

3. Check the old memory or the motherboard the memory it supprts, is it an SDRAM or DDRAM and others.

4. Check if there are available memory slots for expansion.

good lcuk

sublime1sw said:
were can i find what motherboard i have???

What kind of computer do you have?

The name of the motherboard is often printed on the motherboard itself.

Disconnect all the cables to the computer, open the box and make sure to earth yourself on the case. Then look around for a name of serial number printed in somewhat large letters on the large board that everything else is connected to. Try not to touch any of the cards to minimize the risk of damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back