How hot is too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an AMD Athlon XP 2800, 2.08 GHz, what should its normal operating temperature be? And at what temp is it getting too hot? :hotbounce

"too hot" is when it starts to crash on you :p

Depending on what you do, the CPU should run between 30-70 degrees Celsius. Looks like the official max core temp is 85.

'm putiing my pc together everything is ok so far as far as connections. But one thing. My CPU temp is at 85 degree celcius!!!!!

i'v got a Pentium 4 630 3ghz processor 800mhz fsb and 2mb cache.

i want to know what my Vcore voltage and fsb termination voltage should be???

85 Celsius is way too much!

If you didn't change your voltages, then they should be at the default values. Check them with CPU-Z and then compare with the Intel data sheet for your CPU.

Try to check your cooler and thermal paste if they are setup correctly, and if they are OK, it's time to get a new cooling solution!

Also, try to be aware that some mainboards have defective sensors, so you can try to touch your CPU heatsink, and if you can touch it for more than 1second, then it doesn't goes up to 85 Celsius!

IBN, 85 celcius is 185 fahrenheit, seems way out of line. Are you sure that maybe the tem is 85 Fahrenheit.
Toksin, first you can check with AMD on your own. You need either the info on your cpu or the number that is listed on your cpu. With that you can get the info on what temps, voltages, etc your cpu should run at.

hey is it possible to fry ur cpu or another other computer part because of over heating or will ur comp crash on u and cool down till u turn it on again?

my P4 630 used to run at 90 degrees Celcius when i first built it too...I didn't snap in the heatsink/fan on tightly...damn intel push pin designs....you have to push it in hard, almost felt like i would snap my board, but when i heard all 4 clicks the temps went down to 30 degrees Celcius.

No it's not possible to burn your CPU by usual computer overheating... all CPU's now are designed so that they automatically shutdown at 120 degrees celcius or some shut down at 100 degrees. even if they reach that temp they are designed with burn proof technology which keeps them from being harmed..only bending a pin or soaking the CPU in water will damage the core.

ok i've pushed in the fan as hard as i think is suitable without snapping my board and it seems to be holding out at 55 degrees celcius. BTW i adjusted my Vcore and other settings before this to a lower setting to avoid my cpu blowing up

does anyone know what the following should be
CPU VCore Voltage
FSB Termination Voltage
MCH Chipset Voltage
ICH Chipset Voltge

I've got a p4 630 3ghz 512ddr2 533mhz and asus p5wd2 premium board

I know intel has thermal protection built in and i have seen it at work, but i dont know if AMD athlon xp cpu's have built-in thermal protection. I dont think they do, but im not 100% certain on that. A visit to AMD site would find the answer.

Thanx to Lips bouncing on the cpu fan seems to have worked lol!! Intel really need to state clearly that users need to squeeze in there fans untill their fingers go numb to make sure the fan is fitted in correctly.( exageration).

But how come the ASUS software and the Bios are showing different temp readings? which is most accurate?

(btw if ur gonna buy the asus p5wd2 premium board then go for it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back