How is one supposed to fix problems from Blue Screen Errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TazarZero

Alright, so this time I have a question about the infamous BSOD. I am running Vista x64 on my new custom build and have come across so many Blue Screens in the short time I've had my system running that it's starting to become depressing. I can easily say that my new system has had more Blue Screen errors in its short life than all other computers I've ever owned combined!

Here are the STOP Errors I've recorded (written in short hand) so far:
- 0x1E
- 0x3B
- 0x4E
- 0x7E
- 0xA
- 0xD1

Now, through this site, I've found other sites that tell me what these errors mean, but, and this is the irritating part, they don't give me any clue on how to fix them myself! I found ONE patch to ONE of the errors, but it didn't apply to my system because I already have SP2 installed... <-- doesn't that mean I shouldn't be having the problem I'm having? So I'm basically stuck with a defunct 64-bit Vista OS unless I can find some insight on how to fix my system to where these Blue Screens cease to come up.

I've done everything I can think of to reduce the causes of any future errors as far as drivers go, everything in my system has 64-bit drivers, including the keyboard and mouse; I've upped the ante on the Page File size; the BIOS has been updated on the motherboard through the boards home site; both 4870's are updated by ATI's video drivers; and of course Windows is updated as current as possible through Windows Update, and these Blue Screens still show up.

Believe me, I almost have my fingers glued to Ctrl+S every time I'm in a program now because I can't predict when the next error will pop up. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to remedy Blue Screens?

My new systems specs are updated here if that helps shed some light on the issue!

Well...
MS (in addtion to defining the problems) has suggested resolutions to many of the bugchecks
Also, for many bugchecks both may be found here... http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Which ones are you have trouble trying to resolve?

Quite simply all of them. I've checked that site you mentioned, seen the meanings of the error codes, but I get confused on the resolution parts. Some seem to mention a Kernel Debugger, and I have no clue how to use that. Needless to say, I'm having enough problems as it is, I don't need to create more for myself by screwing up code I don't understand in the first place.
Another thing is that some of the resolutions say that the Vista Service Packs are the remedy to the problems I'm having, yet I'm still having them.

At the same time, I've kept up the researching on my problems, looking up the files that the errors are linked with, and most of the results from Google are for 32-bit Vista. In most cases, 64-bit Vista problems are still unresolved.

So for now, tell me what you need to know and I will get you the info as best I can. I'm lost at the moment, so sorry if this reply comes across as confusing or unhelpful.

With so many diverse errors happening often this sounds like a corrupted memory issue but this is only a guess at this moment. We need your minidump files.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

* In addition please give the security software you are running. Also, is the RAM you have installed recommended by ASUS for your motherboard?

Trouble with the minidump files.

Ok, so I tried to get the minidump files into a compressed zip folder, and the system came back and said I didn't have the right permissions. I check all the permissions, and set them to allow read and execute files, but still no luck. On the bright side, finding the minidump files was a breeze. So yeah, no attachments at the moment.

As for the security software, I assume you're referring to anti-virus software? I'm running Avast Home Edition, and it just dinged at me saying it was updated when I turned the system on.

And for the RAM, I've used two sets of OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC2 8500 RAM, each set was 4GB (2x2GB) for a total of 8GB total in the system, and it ran at 800mhz when it was installed, and was advertised to run at 1066mhz, I just didn't get around to setting them in BIOS yet. However, I'm currently using OCZ Fatality 1 Gaming RAM, and it is set at its advertised speed of 800mhz; it is PC2 6400. Same setup as the Platinum RAM. And I'm pretty sure they are cleared through my motherboard's certification list, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. :)

Problem Resolved!!

First off, I'd like to say Thanks to those who pitched in to try and help with my issue, I appreciate the effort.

Good news though, I figured out my problem that was causing all the Blue Screens!
Turns out the RAM I bought, both OCZ Fatality 1 (PC2 6400 - 800Mhz) and Platinum (PC2 8500 - 1066Mhz), was fine. The chips weren't faulty, nor was the motherboard, it was the settings in BIOS, which had to do with Overclock capability, that caused all the issues. I have since switched to Windows 7 RC for the OS instead of Vista, and haven't seen any software problems since the adjustments were made. I can't say if this change would affect the software issues in Vista x64 or not, but something tells me that since the Memory wasn't set right, the software couldn't store information properly, which resulted in the BSOD's I received.

Any way, I just wanted to wrap up this issue with good news and leave it at that. Thanks again to those who pitched in with their help. :)

Thanks for getting back to us. It has been amazing to me the number of people having issues in 2009 with improper voltage settings of RAM via the motherboard. Glad you checked your BIOS and you corrected the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back