By truflip
Mar 14, 2006
  1. how long do CMOS batteries last?

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

3. truflip

truflip TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 390

nice link. it earns a bookmark.

the computer is basically on a lot. sometimes 24/7 or longer. It does a lot encoding overnight. and during the day (when someone is on it, its used to do homeowork on or surfing the web)

4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

The real battery killer is leaving the computer unplugged for months on end.Most people don`t do that though.

5. truflip

ah ok cool, thanks a lot for the help

6. DragonMaster

DragonMaster TS Rookie Posts: 327

I've got nearly 20 years old lithium batteries still at the voltage marked on them.(Used to save data like on PCs)

It always depends of the mobo also. I have one that drains batteries in about a week when left unplugged. I don't know the average time for the PC battery but I know that the battery wasn't dead on my 1996 jetway j-656(?) motherboard a few months ago.

Oh, and I've got a 1982 tuner with a CR2032(Same as most computers) that still works.

7. truflip

thnx for the info dragonmaster. I have an Asus board P4SD-LA its the ones the HP/Compaq put in their OEM PC's (back in 2000 or so i think)

8. DragonMaster

DragonMaster TS Rookie Posts: 327

Uh, why do you want to know that?
    They are mostly not failed until your computer can't remember the time and tell that the CMOS was cleared when booting.

9. truflip

cuz of this:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic46103.html

someitmes my BIOS forgets which to boot for XP
    when this happens i go check my BIOS and i find nothing in the first boot device section not sure if this is just loose cables or a PSU problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.