How many anti-mal/spyware applications can/should you have installed?

boagz

Hi everyone, I've heard that it is fine to have an anti-virus and anti-malware application installed on the same computer (such as microsoft security essentials and malware bytes) but not good to have two anti-virus software's installed. Is the reason for this that free anit-malware tools don't run real time protection in the background (as I know free versions are used for scan only) while anti-virus programs do? If that's the case then would upgrading to a paid version of say malwarebytes (with real time protection) interfere with my anti-virus program's real time protection and slow down my computer? What about downloading multiple anti-malware applications? Is there any advantages to having multiple, free version, anti-malware apps? Thanks for any responses.

The rule is simple:
- one firewall
- one AV program
- one antimalware program running in real time (paid versions); you can also have more antimalware programs installed as long as they don't run in real time

Alright cool thank you. Do you have a suggestion as to what real time malware protection is good? I heard malwarebytes doesn't work to well with real time protection.

Malwarebytes is the best tool on the market but you still have to remember that there is no perfect security tool.
If you don't practice safe computing you'll get hit no matter what.

Back