How many games out today take full advantage of dual cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eijmaster1

Exactly as the title specifies. I did a quick search but don't have a lot of time to spend searching. So, how many games out today take full advantage of dualcores?

I think the only game that i know of that takes any use properly of the Dual Core is Cyrsis which really needs a monster of a PC to use its full potential.

James

Supreme Commander, Unreal Tournament 3, Company of Heroes, Quake 4, F.E.A.R., City of Villains, World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2 & 2142, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, the upcoming Assassin's Creed and many more.

You contradict yourself saying that. What's the point of a game using a dual-core if it's not going to stress it fully?

so why all the jiberish about singe cores being too weak for games ( "you need dual core, dual core dual core!") when only about 1/3 (if that) of the games utilize them?

I suppose it wouldn't matter for the game performance in itself but your computer isn't only running the game. If you have two cores I'd imagine the if first core were handling the games thread(s), the second core could be handling random system threads in the background thus improving overall system performance.

Two cores > one core, if not directly than certainly indirectly.

good point though my 3.0Ghz P4 has hyper-threading technology. Thats pretty much the same efficiency as a dual core. Right? I'm just trippin cuz i just upgraded from a 1700 Athlon XP cpu to this P4 and I'm hearing that my cpu is still to weak to play games at high to max settings.

Not exactly no. An HT-enabled processor has two sets of general-purpose registers, control registers, and other architecture components, but both logical processors share the same cache, execution units, and buses. During operations, each logical processor handles a single thread.

An HT-enabled processor can fill idle time with a second process, but you usually won't see much more than a 25% increase in performance at best as far as I know.

It's only an imaginary second core ;).

Err, random question, but yeah the CPU in my main rig about 3-4 years ago had HT. I dropped that for a Pentium D as soon as those were released...

I'm realy just talking about gaming. Isn't 3 ghz enough to play **** on high setttings? and no I'm not talking about Crysis or other ver ver very demanding games...

Well obviously it's going to vary from game to game and there are other variables to consider :/. There could be other bottlenecks throughout your system...

Nobody can just proclaim that your system is fine for gaming as a whole based on a single component, nor do I think anyone just has a list of games readily available that would be fine for your system. If you want to know whether or not your rig can handle a certain game in particular, check the recommended system requirements provided by the games producer. If you bypass those with at least a tad lead then you ought to be safe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back