How many IDE CD-Roms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscountryboy

hey guys i was just wondering if anyone had tried this or knew anything about it.....i want to get a sata drive and i have onboard sata headers on my mobo but i was wondering if i could get 4 cd roms on my ide channels.... i have the standard 2 ide headers and i have been informed correctly they will take 2 devices each so could i get 4 cd roms on my computer with a sata drive?

i have a soyo p4i865pe plus dragon 2 main board and run win xp home...i have plenty of space in my case so i just need to know if i can get the 4 cd rom

thanks a bunch :wave:

If the machine recognizes allof them(Bios&O/S)
Why not.
You may want to check boot order,bios will search each drive to Boot each time ,but you can stop this search with settings.

What do you want to do with your computer when your finished? If gaming is your thing, XP is the best solution. If web browsing, e-mailing, office stuff is your thing go for linux. Just make sure that programs you need or want to use are available for linux. Download an iso of Knoppix and burn it to disk. Boot from that disk an give linux a try. It runs completely off the disk so you don't have to worry about messing up windows. Yes you can run all cd roms off the IDE ports.

alright thanks a bunch....one other question.....i just installed a scis card its a adaptec 2940uw and i have a few older scsi drives and all 3 of them are recognized when the scsi card posts but windows will only recognize one have any ideas on the culprit?

My scsi knowledge is limited. Isn't the last drive on the chain have to be terminated? My dealings with scsi has been limited to scanners mainly.
I had an old scsi 4x cdrom back in my 486 DX2 days.

If the drives are found by the (SCSI) BIOS and not by Windows then they probably just need partitioning and formatting.

See if Windows Disk Managment shows the SCSI drives.

im new in win xp i just came out of the win 98 world about a month ago so how would i get to windows disk management....or could i just boot from a win 98 boot disk and format them that way

That boot disk wouldn't have SCSI drivers on it unless you went through all the trouble to make your own.

In WinXP: Right click My Computer, Manage. You see Disk Management right there.

i tried that and windows refuses to see the scsi hard drive....i have a adaptec aha-2940uw scsi adapter and i have a quantum atlas v hard drive....the scsi card recognizes it and i have formatted it but not partitioned the drive..this mainly because i dont know how to using the scsi bios on the card....any help would be greatly appreciated

also i have a cd rom drive on the same scsi cable as the hard drive and have tried it with and without the cd attached....a possible culprit for this is an adapter that i acquired it take the older 50 pin scsi and turns it into 68 pin scsi...i cannot see any drive in windows with that adapter but i havent tried it on the cd roms because they are 50 pin....tonite i am buying a 68 pin cable so i hope that will resolve my problem...but any inquery would be helpfull

The 50 -68 pin adapter should not cause a problem ,
but I would look for a identifying number setting for the drives that are not seen .
Each item on the scsi bus needs a unique ID number .the scsi bios should list them just after the bios boot screen.And then confirm proper termination.

Does Windows recognise the SCSI adapter itself? Maybe you need drivers for it.

You cannot partition drives in SCSI BIOS - partitions and (high level) formatting are an OS thing.

Also, you could use a CD Linux to verify the SCSI system actually works. Just boot Knoppix or INSERT and see if your SCSI drive comes up there.

alright windows xp sees the scsi controller in device manager and in disk management...however xp does not see the hard drive in either of those but the scsi bios does see the hard drive and the cd rom...i am using the cd rom right now infact because xp sees it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back