How mucn would i be able to overclock my CPU (with stock cooler?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainmk

How much would i be able to overclock my E6750 Core 2 Duo processor with the stock cooler and without having the risk of the CPU damaging or frying? Would I be able to make it to 3.00GHz? Because I'd be happy with that :p

Taking it to 3GHz from 2.66 is a big jump in one hit. Also the amount of heat generated will depend on what you are running on the system (games are demanding, for example. Depending on the board, I would increase clock speed in small jumps and watch the temperature using something like Everest from http://www.lavalys.com/ - the system will usually become unstable before you do any damage to the chip. Still, that is not a cheap chip to be messing with.

OK thanks for letting me know! The last thing I want to be doing is frying the chip, so I'll leave it for now. What CPU cooler do you think will allow be to get upto 3GHz?

Personally I rate Zalman coolers, but there are plenty of custom made ones out there. As I said, it really depends on what you are going to run on this system - games for example will stress it more than writing your thesis!

I'm mostly going to be running high tech games, video editors such as premiere pro cs3, image editors etc etc. I guess that will put too much stress if I overclock then. Thanks for letting me know!

Even with stock cooling, 3ghz is usually easy enough to achieve with a stock clockspeed of 2.66.
Increasing the cpu speed on it's own won't cause the CPU to fry... it will only increase temperature moderately. Increasing the CPU voltage is what is likely to burn it out.
OC Rule #1: If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch voltages. You're more likely to break it than fix it.
There's plenty of heatsink benchmarks around, if you decide you want to push your overclock further... the new thermalright ultima-90 looks pretty good. But ultimately it will only give you a fraction more performance than you get with stock cooling.
Also, you will void your warranty by overclocking, so only do it if you actually need the speed (or the glory) and you can afford to replace the chip if it fails.

overzealot said:
Even with stock cooling, 3ghz is usually easy enough to achieve with a stock clockspeed of 2.66.
Increasing the cpu speed on it's own won't cause the CPU to fry... it will only increase temperature moderately. Increasing the CPU voltage is what is likely to burn it out.
OC Rule #1: If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch voltages. You're more likely to break it than fix it.
There's plenty of heatsink benchmarks around, if you decide you want to push your overclock further... the new thermalright ultima-90 looks pretty good. But ultimately it will only give you a fraction more performance than you get with stock cooling.
Also, you will void your warranty by overclocking, so only do it if you actually need the speed (or the glory) and you can afford to replace the chip if it fails.

Very nice post. Thanks for the info but since I'm not advanced at computing, I think I'll leave over clocking for later life :) I get fantastic performance in games already anyway.

You know what strikes me strange, the poster never even said what CPU he/she has (there is many C2Duo's) in order for anyone to make a recommendation. All that was mentioned was he/she would like to get to 3.0, but from what to 3.0. The what is what we don't know.

I don't know, am I missing something here or is it just me? The only one that I can see that mentions a E6700 is mica3speedy which is not the original poster or I'm blind.

Captainmk,

If you want to overclock here is the best place to get all the info you need. Ask who knows how many questions pertaining to your motherboard and read the stickeys and when ever you feel comfortable then proceed. As long as you stay with in the safety limits for voltage you don't have to worry about frying your hardware. Just don't push the voltage (out of the safety limit) that's what will fry it. Staying with in the safety limits and the system is not stable it will reboot or crash. Then you keep making changes until it's stable and you hit the sweet spot. The great thing about this is you take all the time you need.

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

Everybody will tell you that overclocking is something that shouldn't be done unless you know what you're doing. But I say... how can you know what you're doing if you've never tried it before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back