How often do you shutdown your computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
A very interesting poll was posted by SharkFiNbowL from our forums, asking: how often do you shutdown your computer?

We will make this the topic to discuss for the rest of the weekend and until more news come up later on Monday (Half-Life 2, anyone?). I came to think about it and until a few months ago I used to turn off my PC regularly, that is, everyday. Ever since I got a cable connection and also started running the UD client I'm leaving my system on 24/7, what about you guys?

I've got a permenant ADSL connection (well as permenant as BT decides ;) ), and I use an ADSL router. I leave that on 24/7, but I still shut-down my computer every night. I run the UD client at work, but haven't actually thought about running it at home.
I reckon that my machine wouldn't be stable enough anyway. I always find that re-booting windows regularly seems to help it anyway, since so few games these days are water-tight when it comes to memory management. (check out Unreal 2 for a prime example). Ah, if only linux was the platform of choice for games. ;)

Yeah,Im with Elros,I leave my dsl modem and router on all the time but PC, no way.Another thing that has not been mentioned is,what about dust? I have to blow mine out at least every 4-6 months.I remember reading that the government did a test on the fastest demise of PCs in government offices was users who smoke around PCs.Weird.I also wonder what manufactures say about leaving PCs on 24/7.Was this tested or recommended.I know that like cd players and fans have estimated hours of useage.Like I said from my previous post was that I was afraid of fans going out since they seem to be taking the brunt of this type of practice.

Originally posted by Spliffmeister
Seti doesn't cure aliens :p

GREATTT :haha: LMAO :grinthumb

btw, there is already another thread about shutting down or not, so its kinda weird having 2 threads going at the same time ...

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back