How to access data on a slave drive?

By ThumperX2
Dec 30, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi! I'm new to this message board so bare with me. I will try to be as brief and descriptive of my problem as possible.

I have never had a slave drive on my system and my knowledge of slave drives is pretty much nothing.

I have added a hard drive to my system as a slave drive in hopes to access the data. My system recongizes the slave drive in Bois but not in my computer. how do I access the data on this drive?

Any help would be appreciated :)
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Check that both harddisks have correct jumper-settings. The original HD must be set as Master, the new one as Slave. On top of the HDs should be a sticker with the jumper-positions. Put Master at the end of the IDE-cable, the Slave in the middle. Make sure the red-line on the flatcable is at pin-1 on both HDs and motherboard.
    If the slave is new, it needs to be partitioned and formatted first, using Disk Management
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.