TechSpot

How to back-up DirecTV Harddrive

By Alan1129
Jul 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My DirecTV DVR is beginning to go flaky. I can return it to DirecTV and they will give me a new one, but the problem is that I will lose all of the HDD contents. I just want a way to back up the files (even if they can't be played in their backed up condition) so I can later load them right back into the same type of DVR where that CAN be played.

There is about 150 hours of programming on the HDD, so simply playing one show at a time and recording the analog output is not really an option.

Any suggestions?

2. Char_X

Char_X TS Rookie Posts: 209

3. Alan1129

Alan1129 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Char!
    My recorded shows are valuable, but buying a $699 software is out of the question.
    Thanks anyway.
    Alan

4. amitach_1000

amitach_1000 TS Rookie

if you have tv tuner card connect it to pc open windows xp backup utility select the hard drive which is to be backed up select copy backup option and proceedas directed by

5. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Does the Direct TV have RCA out jacks? I have a digital video recorder box from Cablevision that lets me hook up a DVD R to it so I can record all of the stuff on the hard drive.

6. Char_X

hm...
    you do not need Acronis True Image Server for Windows for $699!!!
    you need Acronis True Image 10 Home for what you want to do!and it costs $49,99=)

7. Alan1129

Thanks Fastco!
    Yes, I have RCA jacks, but aren't those just for analog output, like to a TV or VCR. I would have to record in "real time". That would be painful.

8. Alan1129

Thanks Char_x!
    Is Acronis your company?
    Is Acronis True Image 10 Home on the website?
    I can't find it.
    Alan

9. Char_X

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.