How to block access to specific folders inside Win XP, please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklogus

Hi all !
Is there some way of to block the access to some folders inside Win XP PRO?? Or, if the answer is not, is there some freeware that can do this blocking??

Thanks for any help !!

You can change the security permissions to block certain user accounts.

But anyone with an administrator account can change the ownership or these folders.

You may be able to encrypt them. I haven't really been in a predicament where I've used encyption, but maybe it will make the files unique to your own account.

I'm feeling a bit lazy today, so I found someone else who has posted the instructions to do this. Hopefully they are correct. :) This was posted over at Expert's Exchange.

Accepted Answer from weckert
Date: 06/24/2003 07:56PM PDT
Grade: A
Accepted Answer

Sounds like you may be a little confussed. The "Sharing" option is for allowing other people on OTHER computers to access a folder. For example in your office where you save files on the "network" this is done using the sharing feature.

What you might wish to do is either the permissions settings or encrypt. Using the permissions settings you can prohibit others from viewing files (the admin can always override and get to the files) but using the encrypt feature only those with the password can get to the files (if you forget your password your files are all intense and purposes also gone).

To set the permissions:
1) Start Windows Explorer (Start | Run than type Explorer.exe)
2) Right mouse click on the "C:\Documents and Settings\jackfranks" folder and select Properties
3) Click on the Security tab
4) Click on the Advanced button
5) Remove everyone EXCEPT "Myself", "SYSTEM" and "Administrators".
6) Click on OK
7) Click on OK again

To encrypt the files:
WARNING: If you forget your password these files can not be recovered.
1) Start Windows Explorer (Start | Run than type Explorer.exe)
2) Right mouse click on the "C:\Documents and Settings\jackfranks" folder and select Properties
3) Click on the Advanced button
4) Place a check mark next to "Encrypt Contents into Secure Date".
5) Click the Ok Button
6) Click the OK Button again
7) At the Confirm Attribute Change Screen click the OK button a third time
8) If an error message pops up click on the Ignore All button
9) Wait for it to encrypt everything

WEckert

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Programming_Languages/Pascal/Q_20639973.html

Thanks a lot for your hint, Rick ! The explanation is very clear!
I think that it's what I was looking for ...

Best Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back