how to change my music directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

SornyPanafonic

i created 2 partitions on my hd, 2.2 gigs and 37 gigs. the 2.2 is for windows xp and the 37 for files. what i want to do is create a way to direct the "my music" "my documents" "my pictures" to dirctories on the 37gig partition instead of the default 2.2gig partition. can i do this or should i just redo windows with a bigger partition for it? i thought 2 gigs would be enough since all i wanted was windows to be there and nothing else. that way when it horribly crashes ;) i wouldnt lose that much.

is the partition 2.2 too small for the operating system? since im already down to 656mb and start up or boot up seems kinda slow (really slow) and i was wondering about virtual memory and such. should i just redo the partition right now since i have yet to really install anything worthy. maybe 5 or 8 gigs for the OS? much thanks.

Originally posted by Greeno
get partition magic, and make it bigger if you wish..

And I usually recommend a partition of at least 4Gig for the O/S...gives room to play.

If you wish to resize your partition, simply get the Ultimate Boot CD which includes quite a few partition tools ( all of them free ).

Otherwise, if your system partition is in NTFS, go to the Disk Management tool ( Right-Click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management ) & right-click on your big partition & remove the affected letter. Once that is done, right-click on it again & choose affect drive letter but instead choose to mount the partition in another folder & direct it to your My Documents forlder on %SystemDrive%\Documents And Settings\UserName\My Documents ( the My Documents folder must be empty so just move the contents of the My Documents folder to the big partition before starting all this ).

Once you've done that, your My Documents folder will physically be on the big partition but it'll work exactly as before.

Download and install TweakUI for XP from the Microsoft website.
Copy c:\Documents and settings\your userid\My Documents to the big HD (so you get D:\My Documents)
Run TweakUI, under the tab "My Computer", you will find a window with special folders. Select "My Documents" and relocate it to the D:\My Documents on your 37GB partition.
Reboot your PC.
In all Microsoft Office programs, change your file location defaults to D:\My Documents etc.
You can now delete C:\Documents and Settings\your userid\My Documents
Copy your music to D:\my documents\my music or whatever.
That is all

Originally posted by realblackstuff
Download and install TweakUI for XP from the Microsoft website.
Copy c:\Documents and settings\your userid\My Documents to the big HD (so you get D:\My Documents)
Run TweakUI, under the tab "My Computer", you will find a window with special folders. Select "My Documents" and relocate it to the D:\My Documents on your 37GB partition.
Reboot your PC.
In all Microsoft Office programs, change your file location defaults to D:\My Documents etc.
You can now delete C:\Documents and Settings\your userid\My Documents
Copy your music to D:\my documents\my music or whatever.
That is all

You can right click on My Documents & change the location without TweakUI. Furthermore, if you simply move it to the other partition, it'll be viewable by all the users on the machine. Keeping it in %SystemDrive%\Documents And Settings\UserName\My Documents makes sure the only users that can access are the owner & Administrator.

*Edit* spelling :p

Originally posted by SornyPanafonic
i created 2 partitions on my hd, 2.2 gigs and 37 gigs. the 2.2 is for windows xp and the 37 for files. what i want to do is create a way to direct the "my music" "my documents" "my pictures" to dirctories on the 37gig partition instead of the default 2.2gig partition. can i do this or should i just redo windows with a bigger partition for it? i thought 2 gigs would be enough since all i wanted was windows to be there and nothing else. that way when it horribly crashes ;) i wouldnt lose that much.

2.2 gig is definitely too small .You have the room go to 5-6 gig.

aaiiight i repartitioned my hd to 7 and 31 so i seemed to have lost 2 gigs somewhere in the process but i dont care (thats a lie i dooo - whyyyyy?!). the funny thing is that now it seems the window partition is taking more space then before - when it was on the 2.2gig partition, it only took like 1 gig but for the 7 gig partition it has already taken 2.4 gigs of space. vitrual memory maybe? oh well. thanks for your suggestions, ima start on em. much thanks.

The Pagefile has prolly made itself larger, System restore has also likely allocated more room for restore points. You can change both of these manually,
I'm not sure about your issue with losing space after partitioning, do you have any unallocated space that shows up in Disk Management?

i was updating windows thru the patches and stuff and after a restart it took windows like 30 seconds to pop up. instead of the usual windows xp loading screen where the green squares are going accross the bar i just got a black screen that stayed there for a while then the welcome page popped up. ive added a fan (exhaust fan that takes up a pci slot - not connected to teh motherboard tho) so i was thinking of power supply - would that cause windows to slow down? even tho right before the patches it loaded fine. ehh. as for the space i figure its about right since my 80gig hd comes up as 74.5 and even the 40 was really like 39. prolly cuz companies go with the a gig=1000mb when its really 1024. or maybe im just wrong.

sooo many problems.

Yea, you are correct on the 1024mb thing. I thought you meant that you were missing some of what was being reported as the whole by the system. Slight misunderstanding there I guess. Anyway, I would suspect your slowdown may be caused by one of the updates not installing properly, or if it only did this upon the reboot following the update installation it is likely normal. Sometimes it takes a bit longer for Windows to boot the first time after an update because of reconfiguring some things.

Didou i tried removing the partition letter or but it wont let me cuz its marked 'system' and the other one is marked 'boot' and it wont let me remove their names. im gonna do the right click and just changing the target to the c drive

Yes, you cannot remove the letter of the drive where the system is installed or the letter of the drive C: since that drive contains the bootfile ( boot.ini, ntdetect, etc ).

What is there on the 37GB partition ?

the c drive (31GB - i redid the partition) is marked 'system' while the e drive (7gigs) is marked 'boot' - windows is located there. right now i moved the target for my documents to the c drive by just right clicking and changing it - nothing special. theres nothing there of real value since whatever i put there i have backed up on dvds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back