How to clean the inside of my computer, I really need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adu123

I bought my window xp about 4 years ago, since then, I've never done any cleaning to it because I don't know what tools I need, which parts I need to clean, and I afraid I might mess it up (lots of dust must have trapped inside!). I would be appreaciate if any experts here can give me some instruction on how to clean the inside of my computer properly. By the way, I noticed weird sound every time I start my computer, I guess it's time to clean it up. Thank you

The sound is likely either dust in your fans, or your HDD is having some serious issues.

It's actually very simple to clean the inside of a PC. Go to the local Walmart or hardware store and pick up a can of compressed air. They're usually between $5-$10.

Disconnect all the devices from your PC and bring it to an area that you don't care about dust flying all around (outside maybe). Remove the side panel, and have at it with the compressed air. When everything looks dust free, replace the panel and head indoors :D.

After 4 years I would always also clean every connection to free from oxidisation. To do this, remove and replace every cable connector one-by-one, remove and replace every card carefully, and even more carefully remove and replace the memory strips.

And as Zenosincks points out take, all necessary precautions to back everything up in preparation for possible drive failure.

So all I need to buy is a can of compress air? I thought I need more than that to throughly clean the inside, isn't it? Also, Can you elaborate on which computer parts (other than the fan) I need to clean, and how to clean them? I know I have to clean the heatsink of the CPU, and maybe the memory strips too, but to be honest, I don't know what they look like. Thank you

..Anything with dust, it's not complicated or dangerous. Remove the side panel and go to town with the compressed air. When things look dust-free, you're done. You don't need an engineering degree to dust a PC.

;) Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

What Z said. Plus, don't turn the can upside down or on its side. And don't be afraid to use it as directed. It won't hurt your PC. Dust acts as nature's natural blanket inside a PC which disrupts airflow and keeps in heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back