How to configure Netgear FVS318 for RealVNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I'm trying to figure out how to configure my Netgear FVS318 router (v2,4) to allow RealVNC to access my home desktop PC from over the internet. I am able to use VNC from within my home network to access the desktop from my laptop, but I can't quite figure out how to set-up the router to allow me to do it remotely. here's what I've done so far:

1, In the Netgear router configuration page under "Security:Add service" I added two custom services, 1 for VNC (TCP/UDP) on port 5900, and one for VNC java (TCP/UDP) on port 5800. (Is this correct so far?)

2. Under "Advanced:ports", I added two ports "VNC" and "VNC Java". Both are set-up for "Allow always", WAN users= Any, and the local IP of the machine I'm trying to access is entered in the "Local server address" field.

3. I visited "myipaddress.com to get my public ip address.

4. In my realVNC viewer (on my laptop) for the server address I've tried to enter the public address followed by:5900 and several other combinations, but all are rejected. i can still enter the local IP:5900 and access it though.

5. I checked under "Control panel:Windows firewall" and the RealVNC server appears under the exceptions tab

I'm fairly sure that I'm only a small step away from making this work, any help would be appreciated. I can usually struggle this stuff via trial and error, but I can't quite seem to get this working. Thanks!

Dan O

I found this reply on an old thread:
Big-Z said:
download the latest version of VNC (currently V4.0) and set up the server and viewer on ur machine. I would then go round a friend's house and try and log in from there. For some unknown reason, servers and web apps never work if i access them using the external IP locally, but they work as they should when others connect. Try connecting using the local IP instead of your WAN IP (unless that's what you're already doing in which case tr it the other way).
QUOTE]

I was wondering if it had something to do with trying to use the public IP locally, I don't have access right now to try from another location. Can anyone concur that this is the issue so I can stop pulling my hair out and wait to try from somewhere else? Thanks again!

Dan O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back