TechSpot

How to configure Netgear FVS318 for RealVNC?

By otter
Aug 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello. I'm trying to figure out how to configure my Netgear FVS318 router (v2,4) to allow RealVNC to access my home desktop PC from over the internet. I am able to use VNC from within my home network to access the desktop from my laptop, but I can't quite figure out how to set-up the router to allow me to do it remotely. here's what I've done so far:

1, In the Netgear router configuration page under "Security:Add service" I added two custom services, 1 for VNC (TCP/UDP) on port 5900, and one for VNC java (TCP/UDP) on port 5800. (Is this correct so far?)

2. Under "Advanced:ports", I added two ports "VNC" and "VNC Java". Both are set-up for "Allow always", WAN users= Any, and the local IP of the machine I'm trying to access is entered in the "Local server address" field.

3. I visited "myipaddress.com to get my public ip address.

4. In my realVNC viewer (on my laptop) for the server address I've tried to enter the public address followed by:5900 and several other combinations, but all are rejected. i can still enter the local IP:5900 and access it though.

5. I checked under "Control panel:Windows firewall" and the RealVNC server appears under the exceptions tab

I'm fairly sure that I'm only a small step away from making this work, any help would be appreciated. I can usually struggle this stuff via trial and error, but I can't quite seem to get this working. Thanks!

Dan O
  2. otter

otter Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I found this reply on an old thread:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.