How to connect GPU to my tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloppy998

Hey ppl just a quick question. I have a EVGA 9800 GX2 graphics card and i was thinking about buying a new tv. I want to be able to connect my pc to my tv so i can play games on the tv. Would i need a tv with a certain input socket? Thnx for any help.

If you are getting a new tv, hopefully it is an hdtv of some sort. Those will have HDMI, DVI, or VGA, sometimes all 3, sometimes only 1. But any of those would work, with HDMI and DVI being the best.

Then you'd need a cable to run to it, DVI is likely what you are using for your monitor, so if you had a spare one of those you could use it. If not, you could order from a place like monoprice.com to pick up a DVI-DVI or a DVI-HDMI cable.

You would also need a way to get your sound to the tv. I think some of the new video cards actually have a way to do that through HDMI, but most just run a line from their sound card to whatever the line is on the tv. Usually 3.5mm to RCA.

I just want to make a little side note to what SNGX has said.

Don't be surprised if it's not as cut and dry as he has explained it, depending on the make of the TV a lot of problems can occure, such as the resolution, when you hook up your computer to your TV it may be a smaller screen resolution due to the TV not really knowing what to do with it... so it may not come up in wide screen.

Colour is also another factor, I have seen through experience some brands the screen will come up in Black and white but I remember after doing reasearch that was a manufacturing fault so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

The resolution thing is the biggest worry in my books because at the end of the day it's a TV not a monitor, all I'm saying is don't expect miricles.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, I would suggest going to your local electronics store and if it sells computers and TVs worth asking them to set it up for you in store... if they want the sale.. they'll do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back