How To Connect My 3rd Party Modem To My New Provider's Service?

Tommygunn

About 3 or 4 months ago I switched to a new internet provider whom also sent me a new modem. Problem is, is that this new modem prevents my burglar alarm's dial out alert system from contacting my nominated phone numbers during an activation/test. If I turn off the modem there is no problem, the alarm works perfectly.
This would be fine except that my brother in law lives next door and uses my internet connection so it is inconvenient if I'm away and have to switch the modem off to have the alarm fully functional.

Prior to the provider change over I was using a 3rd party TP-Link TD-W8951ND modem with my prior service provider. This modem caused no problems at all with the function of the burglar alarm when left on.

Therefore, I would like to use the TP-Link modem again but I can't get it to work on the new service. From memory, the modem that was supplied by the new provider was basically 'plug and play' and all I did was just cable it in and there was no keyboard work required. This is why I don't know why the TP modem doesn't work since I didn't change anything.
Evidently, there are some configurations that do need altering but I haven't got a clue.

Any help or ideas?

Tom.

Hello there, You need to apply the appropriate ADSL and network settings on the modem so it can connect to your new provider's network. The ISP support should provide those. Hope you get it up and running soon.

No doubt and if I hunt around my documents I'm sure I've got all the info. Problems is, is that I don't know where to enter it or what to change. Internet jiggerypockery is where I'm least knowledgeable.

Tom.

If your connection is an ADSL one you should probably have some values for VPI and VCI, multiplexing ( LLC or VC), type of internet connection (PPPoE, PPPoA or IPoEoATM) whether there are any login credentials required, type of IP assignment and IP address values. If you find this information in your documentation you could do it yourself. All of these can be configured under the ADSL settings and WAN settings on your router configuration page.
If you are not sure where to input those you can try to call the support team. They might be able to guide you through the process over the phone.

The modem has a MAC id and your service needs to provision service to this new device.
Call the dreaded so-called help desk and inform them you have replaced the modem and need service activation.

Back