TechSpot

How to cook a Geforce FX

By Th3M1ghtyD8
Apr 17, 2003
  1. http://www.pcekspert.com/articles/127-1.html

2. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Wow... thats incredible.
    So you go out and buy this expensive card.
    Set it up. Run some tests... go out and buy some ear defenders.
    Come back set your PC up and then leave it for a couple of hours...
    Screensaver comes on and your card burns up..
    LOL Nice one Nvidia :p

3. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Could be costly for nVidia if they had to replace burned out cards. Its a bad idea to rely on software to control card cooling, but at least its easy to fix with a patch. Another good reason to get a good passive cooler like the Zalman ZM80A-HP fitted since you get low noise and excellent cooling and the added protection that your card is ok even if the fan fails (there is no fan!).

4. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 794

So now the Geforce FX Series has the following disadvantages:-

- Overpriced
    - Underperforming
    - Hair Dryer / vacuum Cleaner Fan
    - Overheating on screensavers

and now EA have been partnered with NVIDIA, all their games will be optimised for these cards.

What annoys me most is that EA apparently have the license for Half Life 2, which they will inevitably optimise for NVIDIA cards, so us ATi owners will probably miss out.:(

5. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Well, I'm not too sure about EA & HL2...
    There's been a couple of (semi) interesting thread about it over @ Beyond3D (3D companies forum)...

What most people agree on is that people who own nvidia card will most likely get some more eyecandy than the rest of us, but the games will still play on other IHV's cards...

And if enough consumers get pissed off at this, they'll most likely add the same features for us... (Kinda like NWN's shiny water....)

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

If a screen saver kills this thing, what do games do to it? :eek:

7. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 537   +12

Rick, I think this is only an error when screensavers are involved; the fan activates to 3D mode and then goes back to normal therefore leaving the FX working but not getting cooled when screensavers are being used. Whereas in games, the FX Flow will stay in 3D mode. This is probably just a driver error, and will be easily fixed with a patch or in the next Dets. I would just like to point out that I am a fan of NVIDIA’s work, but am strongly against the FX FLOW hair dryer.

8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

It's kind of silly to give fan control through drivers, rather than a temperature sensor or something hardware based.

9. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

guess it's a good thing the ultra's were in short supply there are lots of people that leave their computers running all the time. I know I for one would be extremetly upset to wake up and find my card fried.

The swedish chef cooks fried FX

Firsta you taka the fx thena you adda the screensaver.........:D

10. spun_1

spun_1 TS Rookie Posts: 44

HIGHLY second that Tim.Im using Winbond Hardware doctor for a heat activated alarm,but I dont trust it to shutdown.Also another reason that I dont leave my PC on 24/7.

11. Steg

Steg TS Rookie Posts: 422

now thats fuuny! apartently - i dont know where i read this - but the reason the Geforce FX 5800 (NOT the 5900) sounds like someone cutting up a filling cabinet with a chainsaw is because that wonderful daglow plastic case on the fan TOUCHES THE FAN!!!! wonderful piece on engineering there. the 5900 has been redesigned and looks just like the geforce 4 fan - except twice the size

Steg

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.