How to create a shortcut with his own program association?

By katerchen
Oct 31, 2008
  1. Hello, (Windows XP PRO with Mozilla Firefox browser and Microsoft Frontpage as website creator)

I have a tricky little problem, I think. For example, offline-saved websites with the html ending are opened with Firefox browser by double-clicking on them. Now my idea is to create a desktop shortcut of a html file which is opened for example with Microsoft Frontpage, but only this shortcut. Now the problem is that Windows changes the program association for the global html file ending and not only inside of the shortcut if I change the "Open with" section from Firefox to Frontpage. The result is that after this modification ALL html files and shortcuts pointing on a html file are opened with Frontpage, and that's not the solution.

Does anyone have an idea how I can arrive at "single-associated shortcuts"?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Pretty sure you change the short cut to the program you want to open with and then the file name; in properties like:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe mywebpage.html"

If HTML open normally with IE, the above line should open with Firefox
    Actually I haven't tested it, so you may need to fiddle with the "Start in" location, and things like that, on the individual shortcut's properties
  3. katerchen

katerchen TS Rookie Topic Starter

OK, thanks, a good, logical idea. But it does not work; indicating a file name directly after programs .exe file fails to be recognized. An error message like "path not found" or similar appears when I want to save this changement in the shortcut.
  4. kimsland

I thought you'd try a few options

Anyway I did ;) Seeming you didn't

The following shortcut opens Google in Firefox, even if IE is set to default

There you go, you can now work out Frontpage.

I expect ! :rolleyes:
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

This will work ONLY if the shortcut is in the same directory as mywebpage.html

A more general solution is to use the absolute path to
    C:\Documents and Settings\myuserid\somedir\mywebpage.html

But taking a literal reading of 'association'
    Right Click on the file to be opened
    pull down to Open With and then choose Browse
    locate the program of choice.

The Mime/type and file extension will now be added to the association properties
    for all files with that extension. The program chosen will then appear in the
    Open With list in the future.
  6. kimsland

I labelled that incorrectly
    I should have said webpagelink (as noted in the "code" quote above, which works :) )
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.