TechSpot

How to delete orphan files?

By bozmid17
Apr 7, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone recently visited undesirable sites on our home computer and downloaded files. Today, my computer ran a chkdsk operation, where I realized it was fixing this unwanted files. I know which directory these files are under, however, being fairly new to computers, I am not sure exactly how to access these files and delete them. Are they under the Indexing Service, and if so, how do I delete them from there?

Thank you very much for any help! :D

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,053   +76

Chkdsk usually usually fixes the errors and place damaged files in a hidden folder, in root of bootable partition.

You can open Command Prompt (right click to open as administrator) by going to Start, Programs, Accessories; then type dir /ah , it will give you list of hidden files / folders. There should be a folder named Found.000 or something similar (created by chkdsk), if so you can erase its contents by:

1. type CD foldername.here and press Enter
    2. type type del *.* and press enter
    3. type cd.. and press enter
    4. type rd foldername.here and press enter

Once done, type exit and press enter, I hope that solves your issue.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.