How to determine crash module

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderitr

I'm getting an intermittent crash on my new system (no BSOD is displayed.) I've seen on this board where some people can identify the module that is causing it. I have a feeling it's the driver from the onboard sound. Here's why. The first crash came while installing MS Money 2006 during which the installer plays a sound file. (I finally got MS Money to install by disabling AVG Antivirus.) The other crashes have occured when my girlfriend was playing a game including sound playback. She has never been able to play for more than a few minutes without it crashing. Last night I disabled the on-board sound in the BIOS and the game ran for at least an hour.

The crash details are as follows:

Error Code: 10000007F
Parm1: 00000008
Parm2: 80042000
Parm3: 00000000
Parm4: 00000000

My question is, how do I read the minidump file to determine without question the module that is causing this crash?

I know that ASUS has a newer driver on their website than the one I'm running (only newer by a few months though) and I'm having to wait for some of their traffic to die down before I can download it.

When I initially built the PC, I didn't put in any case fans because of ASUS' claim of "fanless design" on the P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard (boy are they full of it.) With the two case fans I installed yesterday, the CPU temp is holding in the mid to upper 40's celcius and hit the upper 50's under load (memtest running and cpu usage at 50%.)

Thank you for the reply but I believe I have resolved this issue by updating the driver for the onboard audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back