TechSpot

How to determine crash module

By coderitr
Aug 19, 2006
  1. I'm getting an intermittent crash on my new system (no BSOD is displayed.) I've seen on this board where some people can identify the module that is causing it. I have a feeling it's the driver from the onboard sound. Here's why. The first crash came while installing MS Money 2006 during which the installer plays a sound file. (I finally got MS Money to install by disabling AVG Antivirus.) The other crashes have occured when my girlfriend was playing a game including sound playback. She has never been able to play for more than a few minutes without it crashing. Last night I disabled the on-board sound in the BIOS and the game ran for at least an hour.

The crash details are as follows:

Error Code: 10000007F
    Parm1: 00000008
    Parm2: 80042000
    Parm3: 00000000
    Parm4: 00000000

My question is, how do I read the minidump file to determine without question the module that is causing this crash?

I know that ASUS has a newer driver on their website than the one I'm running (only newer by a few months though) and I'm having to wait for some of their traffic to die down before I can download it.

When I initially built the PC, I didn't put in any case fans because of ASUS' claim of "fanless design" on the P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard (boy are they full of it.) With the two case fans I installed yesterday, the CPU temp is holding in the mid to upper 40's celcius and hit the upper 50's under load (memtest running and cpu usage at 50%.)

2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

Go here and follow the instructions here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html then zip up a few minidumps and we'll look at them. If you want to analyze them yourself then you need a program called Windbg from Microsoft.

3. coderitr

coderitr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for the reply but I believe I have resolved this issue by updating the driver for the onboard audio.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.