How to determine my P4 chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an overly stupid question, I know, but I can't find out anywhere online.

I have a Sony Vaio (PCV-RX790G) with a Pentium 4 2.4GHz that I'm going to sacrifice to the gaming gods. I'm going to pull the processor and put it on a new mobo (with a 8x AGP slot so I can use the ridiculously expensive 7800GS I just bought, thinking the Vaio I was getting for free had a 8x, not 4x slot). I'm very sure it's a Socket 478, but want to be very sure before I buy the new mobo.

Also, how can I tell what series this is (i.e. Prescott, et cetera...or is Prescott AMD? either way, you know what I mean). I want to overclock it, hopefully, to something like 2.6 - 2.7GHz without water cooling (shouldn't be too hard - I'm going to have one harddrive, one floppy drive, and one DVD-ROM drive for gaming, a 7800GS AGP card, a 530-watt PSU, and nothing else, so I'll have plenty of room for fans).

Additionally, does anyone know if my Celeron 340 3.0GHz CPU will go into my Vaio mobo? I understand that if it even does I'll lose speed, but that's a cool computer, and I'd like to keep it running if at all possible. I'm guessing they're different chipsets because of the drastic differences in speed.

As always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The best method is to go to www.intel.com they have a small program you can download that will identify your Chipset.Ofcourse you runit on the box you are investigating.
If you look in Device Manager>Veiw -Devices by Type, You will see all of your chipset model numbers , open "IDE/Atapi controllers,and "System devices"

You can also see the names listed for CPU"S at Intel then you can read the properties of each.
Prescott is definitly Intel not AMD

You should check the upgrade path for your current MB at SOny ,since they use proprietary components you would need to be sure of what the Mb's options are. You need its exact model number which will be on the Mb somewhere.

Btw you can still use that card in an AGP4x slot. There's not a noticeable difference between AGP4x & AGP8x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back