TechSpot

How to determine what programs are safe to remove?

By Sheena314
Jun 17, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I did a diagnostic report using Norton. Everything came out okay, except for the fact that Norton said I had many (91) programs installed. I have removed some, but don't want to remove a program my computer may need. Is there any way I can determine what programs to remove and what programs are neccessary?

Here is my computer information:
    Processor type: AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual-core processor tk-55 1.80 GHz

RAM: 2GB

Hard Drive size/free space:
    Local Disk (c)-104GB free/140GB
    HP recovery- 754MB free/ 7.35GB

C: 104GBfree/140GB
    D: 754MBfree/ 7.35GB
    H: 1.03GBfree/1.06GB

Any help would be great, and if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,552   +301

Why do you think you need to remove programs? Everything looks fine as far as space being used. D is low, but I imagine that is some sort of 'recovery' partition, and 99% of users don't install programs to the D drive anyway, so removing programs won't free up space there.

3. jmjsquared

jmjsquared TS Enthusiast Posts: 145

I agree...

... with SNGX1275 : Why do you think you need to uninstall any programs at all?

Assuming for a moment that it is a new computer and you want to remove some of the Manufacturer's "bloat ware" --that is, trial software or software that you won't ever use-- then you need to make that decision. But, since disk-space is not an issue at this time, perhaps you should wait a few months before making any removal decisions. If you want subjective opinions about "good/bad/useless" software installed on your system, then please post a list. I am sure you will get lots of opinions you can weigh.

Finally, I suggest that you take Norton's recommendations VERY cautiously. I am now testing Norton Internat Security 2011 Beta ( build: 18.0.0.128) and it gives a lot of "false positives".

Good luck! :wave:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.