how to disable the router bit of a dlink 524

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3051M

hey.. quick question. how do i go about disabling the router bit and just let it act as an access point for this particular model?
basicaly what i have at home is a computer connected to dail-up at the moment and so that is the 'gateway' pc/one with internet shareing on but will go to broadband very soon (when i have approval from the parents and money :D)
Anyways,... when i pluged it in via the usual ethernet port replaceing the old hub it had an ip conflict (198.168.0.1) because of ICS so i set the router to .0.2 extension and got it working.. i fiddled around with some settings there (security etc) and something relating to static ip (logical thinking would be set the ip for the ICS comp rite?) but doesn't seem to work..
files and other stuff transfer ok from my laptop and pc but just the net wont seem to work.. altho i hear from somewhere that this is possible (to set just as an access point nothing else) but not sure of the method involved.

Router is: Dlink DL-524
wifi laptop adaptor is dlink 6something
Pc with net sharing stated in profile and sig
running winxp home
laptop is a Toshiba Satalite 1750 +512mb extra ram (old but still works)
running winMe (what a nightmare to network)
soon to add a P3 comp, fedora or xphome os havent decided yet, most likely cabeled to the router's ethernet port due to limited $ supply..

thanks.
N3051M

You can't disable routing really, but you don't even need to. Disable the DHCP server on the router so your computers wouldn't get the wrong gateway assigned to them and change the gateway/DNS on any computers with static IP setup.

If there are no clients using your D-Link as a gateway, then it has nothing to route.

try disable dhcp in router
on dialup you are getting a ip address everytime you connect it will be a diff one and or rotate out
so I am not sure how you would setup the nic in other machines to see the wan connection
you can try dynamic address in nics
and inable dhcp in the computer they are routed through
your router number should be 192.168.1.1
and of course you can change this 192.***.*.*
this may not be the correct config when dealing with dialup
check out linksys website for some important info on this type of setup
diff hardware ,but config would be close to the same as yours

Disable the DHCP server on the DLink.

If you have another router on your network that has an IP address of 192.168.1.1, then change the DLink to 192.168.1.2.

Don't plug anything into the DLink WAN port, just use the 4 LAN ports.

Your done.

so far:
dl-524
IP address: 192.168.0.2
nothing in wan port
lan port 1: conected to pc
DHCP: do you have the link to the page that explains how to do this from linksys?
SSID: studioNET (for example)
WPA encrypted 128

laptop
PCMCIA card: dlink dwg-630? wireless 54G card
IP address auto (usualy .0.3)
conected to (or finds) SSID above
workgroup: simnet (for example)
Channel/conections/speed auto detect..
wpa 128

pc:
(at the moment) netgear usb 54g (borrowed)
IP address: 198.168.0.1
conected to dl524 via realtek onboard ethernet port (disconected atm)
or the usb right now (temporary workaround)
workgroup: simnet (for example)
Internet/file/printer sharing through network wizard

went to linksys and tried to search for it via the searchbox but since it used a google engine i couldnt quite make sense of it... so if anyone got a site that has the steps to disable DHCP that would be aprieciated..

scrap that last bit.. all good now.. just fiddled around with some settings inthe webbased software in dlink and my laptop.. now does anyone know how to get linux (fedora core4) to get to the network?

sorry to resurect a dead post but could you please tell me how you did this n3051m. im in the uk and im trying to do the same thing with the same router thingy and cant get the lap top to talk to the pc via the little box with lights on it that flash, both can acess the router set up screen but wont tralk to each other and im damned if i know what to do about it.

main pc packard bell running win xp

lap top toshiba 9100 running win xp

router dlink-524

thanks for any advice or help.

but hows the internet connection on both? working fine?

i gather your situation is that you can connect to the net, but can't share or see files among your two pcs? This is actually a simple fix of using the Network Setup wizard [start>programs>accessories>communications] on both PCs and making sure the workgroup name is the same.

if thats not what you're after, then please expand :)

internet connection goes into the main pc on a usb that works fine but i wanted to use the wireless bit of the router to connect the laptop (wirelessly) to the shared internet on the main pc via the lan ports on the router. dunno if this is possible but hope it is.

so you want:

internet --- modem --- PC --- router's wifi (AP mode) ---> laptop ?

A more ideal situation is this:

internet ---modem --- Router --- (ethernet) --- PC
.................................|---------- (wifi) ------Laptop

internet----modem----pc-----routers wifi---laptop would be what im looking for otherwise i have to buy a new modem just for the ethernet port bit. just getting both comps to talk to each other over the lan would be nice

ok if you want it that way, the fastest way to explain how to do it is to copy and paste what someone's already done..

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic76599.html
alidabiri said:
1 - i connected the router's port 1 (not wan) to ethernet port of pc.
2 - launched browser, and went to 192.168.1.1 (router's ip address).
3 - disabled router's dhcp.
4 - chaned static ip of the router to 192.168.0.254 (more about this later).
5 - saved the new ip address for the router.
6 - disabled the wireless adapter on the desktop (host).
7 - when you have ICS connection sharing, xp forces an ip of 192.168.0.1
8 - so all other devices that want to talk to this, must have proper ip's
9 - pinged the router - worked ok.
10 - on laptop, i enabled wireless adapter (linksys).
11 - set ip address to automatic (dhcp) on laptop.
12 - on laptop set gateway to 192.168.0.254 (router's ip address).
13 - ran network setup wizard with file and printer sharing.
14 - pinged the router, worked ok
15 - typed a url on laptop - bingo. it worked file.

To disable DHCP, just login to your router's web interface and click on DHCP on the nav panel. Don't forget to set the router's IP address to something else before you start the ICS sharing..

And yeh, the host computer needs to be on the whole time you want to use the net...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back