TechSpot

How to do a repair install with unattended XP disk?

By Sistrunk
Sep 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. So... I had some issues where windows was not displaying my processors in device manager, so I decided to try a repair install. I have multiple copies of Xp and tried a repair install with one of those disks. It proceeded with the install but then asked for the key.Unfortunately, I chose the wrong disk from the original install and did not have the key for that particular disk. I did finally find the correct disk with the proper key but it is a slipstreamed unattended version. I tried to insert that disk on setup but it says key invalid( but am positive I have the correct key for). So.... thinking the issue was it had been originally "repaired" with the wrong disk, I tried to do a repair with the correct one. The problem now is that it seems to be in the middle of a fresh install. Which I do NOT want to do. Also am not sure where the Original Xp disk is. Right now the install is asking for the correct date. I have stopped there and was hoping to get some advice from you guys on how to complete this repair install. Or have I already gone too far?
  2. Dell_BabitaG

Dell_BabitaG Official Dell Support Posts: 74

Hi Sistrunk,

A Repair Install is best used only if you are having system issues but they are confined to the Operating System files. Instead of formatting and re-installing everything again, the repair install will attempt to check and fix any disk errors and re-install the Operating System files over the top of the corrupt ones.This means you shouldn't have to re-install your other programs and you should keep your settings.

It is advised that you back up all important data on your computer prior to the repair install, to avoid data loss. Before you perform a repair installation of Windows XP, you must un-install any newer version of Internet Explorer than Version 6. Not doing this will result in Internet Explorer no longer working after the repair installation of Windows XP is completed.

Click on the Microsoft link below for steps to repair your Windows XP installation using the Windows XP CD. Under More Information>Troubleshooting>Method 2 you will find the steps for Repair Install of Windows XP by booting your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to repair Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to re-activate your copy of Windows XP.

http://dell.to/1bCsFj5

Though you have not mentioned your computer model name, this Dell article with screenshots of how to do a repair installation of Windows XP may prove helpful:

http://dell.to/19UoIc7

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks & regards,
    Babita G
    #iworkforDell

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.