How to edit IE's address bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to modify the addresses that pop down on IE's address bar. Anyone here know in wich file is it?

I have tried to search here, and I do NOT want to use those "twaeking" programs. I want to know how they do it... ;)

I also already know that it is not in the registry...

Regards,

Wicr0s0ft

Are you talking about the URL history? The only way I know of "modifying" it, is to delete it by clearing the history. Tools>Internet Options>General>Clear History. I have never heard of anyone modifying it. What are you wanting to do? Delete some entries and leave the rest there?

BTW, You said that you found nothing in the Registry but did you look under this entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

Also found another way to delete individual entries while tinkering with things to figure out what you were trying to do:

Open up IE & click on History . Locate the entry from the left
hand side of the page, right click & in the pop up menu , click delete.

Editing Address Bar

I just read the responses to this post, but can't tell if it was resolved. I hope it was cause I'm having the same problem.
I've deleted the History through Internet Options.
I've opened the History view and made sure all sites are gone.
I've even turned off AutoComplete, but IE6 keeps showing the dropdown list of URLs.
I've even tried deleting all the IE files & folders I could find and then reinstalling it, but somehow Setup still found it.
After that, I tried going to Add/Remove Programs and selecting Repair, but the box that came up said it couldn't repair IE.
Any ideas?

too much pr0n eh ? :)

from internet options you did delete all offline contect, and definatly cleared everything ?

u can clear it all in TweakUI can't you ?, failing that, just make a new user if you're using 2k or XP :) and log on as that :)

Lets find it!

Hello,

StormBringer: I tried to look on the registry key you said about, but it isn't the problem. It has some URLs indeed, but there are many more that pops down on the combobox. That is why I didn't find that key, because I copied one of the URLs from IE's box, and tried to locate in the registry. Obviously without success.

dreamingod: I think you might be experiencing the same problem I do. I will tell to the forum if I find the solution (hopefully : ) I don't think that reinstalling IE solves it, because M$ tends to keep info through consecutive install/reinstalls :( ... I think we have to punch it a bit. ;)

Greeno: Yes, Greeno, I don't even use offline pages. I use minimal cache that IE keeps anyway, off my own will. :( ... I have disabled checking for new vresions of pages, and many other options.

I want to hack that dang thing because it keeps to much useless URLs. I dont mind it keeping some good pr0n sites... ;) ... it would be nice to edit it too, so the pages I want, be always in the place I want. :) I hate more, the INVALID pages that are stored there, like:
each page you visit when you are reading mail, or every and each page when you are on a session of research about a thing, and after that you don't wanna keep that all the rest of your life. And besides, it will take around 1MB (reasonable estimative) to keep all that 'trap' loaded all the time. :*(

So, I think it must be somewhere. And if TweakUI can do it, we can do without tweak too. :)

Anyone there who uses TweakUI wanna help on that? =)

I'll try to do some research next weak, and post some results here. If some others would do that as well, could be faster for all of us.

Thanks and greetings for everyone. =D

Wicr0s0ft

I think that TweakUI uses the methods I outlined above. As do most utilities that clear IE cache.

I know that some sites put keys in the registry in places that seem absurd. Sites also create shortcuts to shortcuts and do all sorts of things to try to keep you from finding and deleting them.

As for Windows keeping things through an uninstall/reinstall, try using a registry cleaner, you'd be surprised what gets left behind after removing an application.

Hello, StormBringer,

I would like to know wich keys store the info I'm talking about, or points to the actual data. I want to gain knowledge. That is why I want to avoid use a software that will do the job, but will not tell me how it was done. :(

I am at work now, I will try to post a more consistent thing by the end of the week, but I gotta do that at home, in my own machine.

Greetz,

Wicr0s0ft

wicr0s0ft: I two have tried to delete some of the urls that are stored in the drop down list. When I click on the down arrow at the end of the address bar/field it lists 25 urls. Some of which I would like to keep and some I would like to delete. I have gone into history and I was able to remove some from the url drop down list this way but some I couldn't. I too am looking forward to a reply that will fix this problem. :approve:

If the addresses aren't in that registry key StormBringer said, check

HKEY_USERS / Default / Software / Microsoft / Internet Explorer / TypedURLs

Also, Microsoft's Really Hidden Files might be interesting reading.

I had also been having problems with it, and I have deleted temp files and everything, but it does work, as now my address bar is clean. I right clicked on the IE icon on my desktop and choose properties, then I clicked on Delete Cookies, then Delete Files, then I clicked on Settings, then View Files, and I deleted anything that was there. From going there right from the beginning, you can decide what you want to keep, it just might take awhile. I wanted everything gone! I'm using XP so it might be slightly different if your using something else. My general advice, other than what I said above is to completely use Internet Options, I don't think that you need to go anywhere else. Actually, I think what you're looking for is the place you get to when you click on View Files by following the steps above. I've never been able to access it from my computer by myself, going the long way round, I've only been able to get to it by doing these steps. I think XP has a lock on it, that can't be removed by showing all hidden folders.

Address bar drop down deleting.

Hi Everybody.
I came across this site by wanting to deal with this problem & from what I have seen you are all very knowledgable.
My problem is that "Yes" I have undesirable adresses in the dropdown.I am a windowsXP user.I have took the route tools, internet options and deleted history,files,etc and yes this clears the address but if you start by entering a single letter "a" etc instead of www. whatever ,a dropdown appears of the address beginning with whatever letter you've printed.Please ,please let me know how I can delete these certain items to get rid of them.
I also must explain ,please describe what to do in great detail as I have no idea at all about computers (wish I did) so will not understand different terminology.So please explain to me as if I have never used a computer before.Sorry for being so thick! I will greatly appreciate anyones help.I look forward to hearing from someone .Cheers John.(REDZED

Hi,

Your problem might not necesscarily be anything to do with Internet Explorer you may have a favorite beginning with 'A' or whatever.

I don't have to time to answer this now as I'm running late for work.

But your favorites, desktop shortcuts, control panel, my computer etc appear in there, if you simply type the first letter.

DRop down help !

Hi Greeno.

Thanks ever so much for your reply .If you do have a chance some time can you please assist me , as I mentioned I am a real novice with computers.Once again thanks and look forward to hearing from you.
All the best REDZED.(John).

Hi REDZED.

From the top...

If you goto IE's address bar and type... giving a few examples :-

'A' You'll probably notice A:\ comes up and maybe 'Search for "A"'

-or-

'L' 'Links' probably appears as this is a default Internet Explorer (IE) folder from within the favorites...similarly M probably brings up My Computer, My Documents etc for you.

Microsoft being too clever?. Maybe.

This doesn't necessarily help you though, but the point i'm making whatever it is... let's say 'XXX' in this case (as this is un-desirable) if you type 'X' into the IE address bar it'll appear in all its (un-wanted) glory, but this doesn't mean its been a website you've surfed onto or anything, it maybe a favorite thats added itself through some spyware or a site that you've visited.

If this doesn't make sense, please feel free to PM or email me at greenoownz at hotmail.com(emails better)

Removing unwanted items from address bar drop down

Hi Everyone ,
What greeno has said seems to be spot on .So if anyone can please let me know how to resolve it I will be extremely grateful.Please be as detailed as possible as I am a complete novice.
Thanks REDZED.

Greeno, RedZed? Solution found?

I have Gay.com, (a Java link maybe?) show up every time I type in www.g

Obviously this is kinda lame at some times!

Would love to know how your problem was solved redzed.

Thanks!

Chris

easy fix :)

steps:

start > control panel > Internet Options > Content (tab up the top) > AutoComplete ( Under personal Information) > Web Addresses (un check)

No more pr0n addresses :)

okthen33

Hello all,

Just found this site. Thank goodness. How very cool. Thanks to all for the input. Im having the same problem. Did any of these work? I tried them all and still cant edit this darn thing. I did it a couple of years ago with a different OS(2000) I think. It doesnt work with XP. Hope we figure this out!

Peace

Reg Key found....worked for me!

Go to:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs] and you find all the address bar histoy there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back