TechSpot

How to find out what drive connections I have

By mgear
Nov 28, 2007
  1. How do I find out what kind of drive fits in the slots like power and data on my computer.

2. Computer~freak~

Computer~freak~ TS Rookie Posts: 157

if you could please explain a bit more im not sure what your trying to ask .
    But i will take a guesss at it =D are u trying to find out if your drive connection u have as in IDE or Sata? maybe this will help:http://www.ackadia.com/computer/images/sata-vs-ide-bg.jpg
    post back if asap. ps. the big ribon cable is IDE the small red cable is Sata

3. mgear

mgear TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

I have the IDE one I believe.I was just asking because I have asked my dad for two gigs of ram and a new drive for my PC.

4. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 498

hey mgear

If you're gonna put in a new Hard Drive, why don't u try puttin in one with an external casing? this works by means of its own power and also on usb. the external can then be used as a normal hard drive, except it can be used as mobile storage as well....

good luck

Spyder_1386 :)

5. mgear

mgear TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

I am looking for one that is big on storage but cheap so an external wont be in the option.

6. craigdexter1

craigdexter1 TS Rookie Posts: 63

If you enter bios during post and select advanced bios selection it will tell you your hdd configuration.
    You can also click 'My Computer' right click on the HDD display and select properties from there. I believe that will tell you what you need to know.

7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

download belarc adviser free
    will tell you the motherboard
    operating system
    hard drives firmware and other stuff like memory installed
    then post them here
    better one is Everest not free

good luck with upgrade

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.