How to fix a crash without formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansay

Hey,

I'm trying to fix my computer without formatting it but i don't know how to. Let me tell you what the problem is. I can log in perfectly fine but as soon as I log in I get this error:

"Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\kqumrifj.dll

The specified module could not be found."

I did a scan on Safe Mode (stupid idea?) and removed some malicious trojans but it still freezes. The mouse still moves but everything else is frozen and the first thing to freeze is the bottom bar.

System restore isn't an option because I didn't set up a restore point for this month.

PLEASE help, I can't risk formatting because I have alot of files that need recovering first.

PS. I'm 17 and if my dad found out I formatted, I wouldn't be able to touch the computer again.

I can't find any info on Google about that DLL file and even checked if it was a real file in my system but it isn't.
Since you did a Virus Scan, the Trojans may not have gone or may have damaged something try a repair install with the OS CD this will not format the HDD it will replace any missing Windows files etc.

Probably something better go over to the Security and Web forum - https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html
And post a Hijack This Log and a Malware bytes log and someone on there will help you to check the system is clean of viruses

Ok, ran the CD, did a repair install of XP and everything went smoothly...until I got to the log in screen. It ran a bit slow and when I logged in my mouse was moving perfectly fine again but there were no icons on my screen.

Ok, ran the CD, did a repair install of XP and everything went smoothly...until I got to the log in screen. It ran a bit slow and when I logged in my mouse was moving perfectly fine again but there were no icons on my screen.

It's sounding like the system is still infected, the Cd repair wouldn't have got rid of the viruses if they were sill there, do as woody1191suggested and post your highjack this and malware bytes logs in the security forum for them to take a look at as something is still not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back