How to fix: Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the Repair feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this system running perfectly with XP Pro SP2 for quite awhile with MS Office 2003 and NAV 2005 installed with no problems. A few days ago I installed MS Contact Manager and started getting the "Norton-AntiVirus-2005-does-not-support-the-repair-feature" message every time I opened MS Outlook. I tried the registry editing solution, however the shortcut was exactly where it was supposed to be and was never moved. I read and read about all of the solutions and hated the thought of uninstalling and reinstalling NAV, especially after reading the horror stories about problems created by attempting that. I also didn't like the idea of disabling MS Office protection, that Norton had the nerve to include as a solution. A new reinstall of the OS was out of the question. Then I found probably the most simple solution and decided to give it a try... I took about a minute to fix and solved my problem. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

To repair the problem try going to (the location and name will vary depending on what norton product you are using):
c:\program files\norton antivirus\quarantine
Check to see if the quarantine folder contains the following 2 folders (Portal and Incoming), if not create new folders within the quarantine folder as follows:
c:\program files\norton antivirus\quarantine\portal
and
c:\program files\norton antivirus\quarantine\incoming
That's it, once the new folders were created everything is fine again... I didn't even have to reboot!

Hope this helps others before they try to do any of the other exhaustive fixes I've seen. It may not be the solution for everyone, but fixed my problem in a jiffy.
Good Luck!

Quarantine folder Missing....All better now.

Thank you for the most simple fix in a long time. Can't believe that would not be on the Symantec forums. Holy Carp!!!

Luckily I found this post first before trying an uninstall/reinstall. Think it may have come about from Office Updates, but not positive.

Thanks again,

Foolface

...still have problem

The 'Incoming' and 'portal' folders already existed on my PC. Yet I have those irritating pop-up windows.
This problem started, I think, after installing a broadband connection.
Any suggestions?

fiddled with start menu ?

i get this recently, after moving my start menu around.

did you do this?

The symantec board has this defined as a 'no-no' and the fix is to put it back how it likes it.
see symantec support KB document number 2004090712504306

moving form the startmenu

to get around having to have the norton system works folder on your start menu try this. Make a copy of the norton system works startmenu folder and put it where ever your wanting to move it too. then take the origional startmenu folder and right click on it. on the properties page all you have to do is set it to hidden and there you have it, nortons happy the folder is still where it should be and you have no more norton showing on your startmenu.

Solving issue

i've found the following solution...

After installing Norton Antivirus 2005 at boot up the following error message is displayed "Norton antivirus does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and re-install."

This problem occurs if you have changed the default location for the Norton Antivirus shortcuts in the Windows Start Menu.

The below information is taken from Catlecops.com with thanks to "Bill_Bright"
Unfortunately, Symantec has become as arrogant as Microsoft as they "expect" all users will naturally and blindly adhere to "their standards". In this case, Symantec's solution to this bug is simply "do it their way".

Their way is not acceptable to me. I personally do not like all my programs to be stacked up under All Programs in the Start Menu. I use subfolders to group like applications together, thereby keeping my Start Menu "tidy". For example, I have subfolders called Utilities, Internet Stuff, and Palm Stuff, among others. I moved my Norton 2005 folder and its shortcuts under "Utilities".

There are two solutions to this an easy one and a more complex one. The more complex one involves editing the registry.

Easy Solution - 1
Norton's way - Move the shortcuts back to their original location in your Start Menu. Where they should be located is dependent upon whether your NAV2005 came packaged as stand-alone, with NIS, or with SystemWorks. Try on of the following if you can not remember or are not sure:

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Antivirus\
or
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton Internet Security\Norton Antivirus\
or
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton Antivirus\

Easy Solution - 2
An easier fix is to just put a copy of the Norton AntiVirus folder back in the main Programs folder of your Start menu, and hide it and its files using Right click->Properties->Hidden. It will no longer show up in the Start menu.

You can put another, non-hidden copy wherever you wanted it in the first place.

Complex Solution
To fix this problem the right way, that is permanently (or until a future update screws it up again) you must edit the Registry.

WARNING Using a Registry editor incorrectly can cause immediate irreparable damage to the operating system that may require a complete re-install to correct. It is recommended you backup your Registry before making any changes to it. Also, creating a new "Restore Point" is advisable.

Get the current location of your shortcuts, this can be done as follows:

* Right-click on Start and click on Explore All Users
* In the Right Panel, click on Programs and drill down into your Norton Antivirus folder
* Note the address - TIP - click View, Toolbars, and check Address Bar if not already checked
* Right Click once in the Address Bar to highlight the entire address, then click Copy to put the correct location in the Clipboard's memory
* Click File, Exit to close the window

Edit the Registry (the dangerous part!)

* Open RegEdit (if still open from above, skip this step) Go to Start, Run and enter regedit in the text field
* Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton Antivirus
* Double Click on the String Value “ShortcutPath"
* In the Edit String pop-up window, the Value Data field should be highlighted, Right-Click in the highlighted field and Click Paste to replace the location with the correct location saved in your clipboard (Note: If not highlighted, just delete the text in the field and paste in the new address)
* Click OK
* Click File, Exit to exit RegEdit

That's it! Norton should not complain

Hope it helps

Manusoftar :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back