How to get my desktop up to par with xbox 360 graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mholt82

basically i was wondering what would i need to get my new desk top running at xbox 360 levels of graphics so far im running duo 3.0ghz processors 1 gig of ram which i plan on getting 2gigs and my old nvidia card thats 64megs of video memory would i need a 512mb geforce card to get my goal of 360 graphics i have pci and one agp slot i know pci express is faster just dont want to deal with installing another new Mboard

Simply can't be done.

Do you have a Core2Duo at 3.0? Or do you have the much more likely based on what you said a Pentium D 3.0?

In any case you'd need a system with 2+ gigs of RAM, a C2D or a C2Q that is fairly high end, and something like an 8800GTX, probably a couple of them to be able to pull it off. And even then you are fighting against game programmers for the 360 that are attempting to maximize the efficiency of every bit of code in their game to run on a specific set of hardware.

For a system like yours the best you can do is upgrade to a couple gigs of RAM and buy something like the 7900GS or the ATi 2600XT (maybe a X1950, I don't know much about ATi).

If you got one of those high end AGP cards then there is a decent chance you'll end up needing to replace your PSU.

SNGX1275 said:
Simply can't be done.

Do you have a Core2Duo at 3.0? Or do you have the much more likely based on what you said a Pentium D 3.0?

In any case you'd need a system with 2+ gigs of RAM, a C2D or a C2Q that is fairly high end, and something like an 8800GTX, probably a couple of them to be able to pull it off. And even then you are fighting against game programmers for the 360 that are attempting to maximize the efficiency of every bit of code in their game to run on a specific set of hardware.

For a system like yours the best you can do is upgrade to a couple gigs of RAM and buy something like the 7900GS or the ATi 2600XT (maybe a 1650GT, I don't know much about ATi).

If you got one of those high end AGP cards then there is a decent chance you'll end up needing to replace your PSU.
its running two 3.0ghz cores so its 6.0ghz the game time shift is for the 360 and they have a pc version so something has to be powerful enough to run it other wise why would it exist for the pc if i remember the game requires a dual core cpu and a 256meg vid card

mholt82 said:
its running two 3.0ghz cores so its 6.0ghz

That's not at all how it works. Would really help to know what kind of processor you actually have. Chances are you're not going to be able to do it. As SN said, if you get a decent video card (X1950 flavor) for your AGP slot then you'll probably need to upgrade your power supply as well.

mholt82 said:
its running two 3.0ghz cores so its 6.0ghz
Incorrect.

mholt82 said:
the game time shift is for the 360 and they have a pc version so something has to be powerful enough to run it other wise why would it exist for the pc
Because on a PC you have adjustable resolution, something like 1024x768 can be done on a PC. On a 360 you are at 1920x1080, you aren't going to get a PC like yours to do for the reasons I outlined above.

Now if you didn't want the 1920x1080 true HD that the 360 is doing and you just want the game to look good, then it may be possible with a high end AGP cards by dropping the resolution significantly.

Like I said from the start though, you can't get Xbox 360 quality graphics out of your pc. It would take significant upgrades to be able to come close, and even then you are trying to overcome games that are specifically coded to run as perfect as possible on the 360s hardware. The PC versions aren't specifically coded to 1 exact set of hardware, they have to run on a variety of hardware.

I feel like I'm rambling, but I also get the feeling you are not entirely grasping why we are saying you can't do it, even with a new video card and more RAM.

Keep in mind, SN, that most 360 games still max out at 720p and very few actually achieve 1080. Problem is 720p looks much better on a TV than a monitor that can do higher.

SNGX1275 said:
Incorrect.

Because on a PC you have adjustable resolution, something like 1024x768 can be done on a PC. On a 360 you are at 1920x1080, you aren't going to get a PC like yours to do for the reasons I outlined above.

Now if you didn't want the 1920x1080 true HD that the 360 is doing and you just want the game to look good, then it may be possible with a high end AGP cards by dropping the resolution significantly.

Like I said from the start though, you can't get Xbox 360 quality graphics out of your pc. It would take significant upgrades to be able to come close, and even then you are trying to overcome games that are specifically coded to run as perfect as possible on the 360s hardware. The PC versions aren't specifically coded to 1 exact set of hardware, they have to run on a variety of hardware.

I feel like I'm rambling, but I also get the feeling you are not entirely grasping why we are saying you can't do it, even with a new video card and more RAM.

well it was worth a shot im no *****, but 360 still runs off the rules of a pc doesent it ? cpu ram video memory storage capacity, it doesnt have a complex OS but i dont care about HD at all i just want to be able to play the games i want, with the almost quality now that i know its impossible to get true 360 graphics i can at least come close and my processor is a pentium 4 duo core it shows in the hardware manager two pentium d 3.0ghz cpu's not sure why the person who was confused about it earlier, i speak english lets hope no one else has the id 10 t error as well. love peace chicken grease !!!!!!!!!

LNCPapa said:
I would check myself before I started calling anyone an *****.

i didnot call anyone an ***** directly, i was asked several times what processor im running and i dont know how many times i needed to describe it. if anything people on here talk to me like im one half the time.

PC Profile:
Windows xp sp2
intel pentium d dual 3.0ghz cores
2 gigs of ddr2 ram
nvidia geforce mx 4000 video card

now iv been eyeballing a 512mb agp 3d card on ebay. not sure if i need a higher powered power supply the case i have came with a 250watt one.

Well I know how to read between the lines - I'm no fool. If you'll notice, even if others have been disrespectful to you I had never been. I was simply pointing out that there are multiple processors that could possibly be clocked at 3 GHz and have 2 cores - and none of them are created equal.

an xbox runs off of 3 distinct separate processors. I do not think there is a PC equivalent. I could be wrong, but I am quite certain that is the case.

no no no no. Look at my specs. I run COH at 1680x1050 at 70 fps ave 120 max and 29 min, with everything cranked, compare that to other systems C2D or not. I run COD4 cranked at 40fps World in Conflict smooth at 32 not crankled but high. All my games look better at 1680x1050 max settings then any console. You need xp a 8800 gt or g92 GTS or ATI 3870 with 2 gigs of ram and your driver settings set properly with windows configured for performance and a clean PC. Lots of Athalons, Pentium D's Pentium EE's with good cards make better then console fps's and graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back