How to have msn running whilst in standby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

korrupt

Hey guys,

I have a laptop, and a mildy retarded sister (she acts that way anyways;))

She ALWAYS shuts down the computer even when I'm logged on, even though I tell her not to. Anyways, I figured I'd solve that problem once and for all, so I removed the shut down bar from the start bar and the log on screen so that she cannot shut it down. Anyways, I don't want the battery to run dry so I set it to go into standby after 5 minutes. But it seems that when I resume from standby, I get logged into msn messenger again so people cant talk to me... I wonder if there is any way to conserve power whilst msn messenger remains operational.

Any replies appreciated.

Regards,

Korrupt

You want to run programs on your computer while the CPU and all the peripherals have been shut down?
You might as well ask how to drive your car with the ignition off so you wouldn't waste any gas :)

At best, you may be able to tune your computer to some "super power saver" mode. A la CPU at minimum speed, LCD off, hard drive off, fans off, NIC speed and wireless transmit power at minimum or off etc.

Standby & hibernate STOPS the cpu from cycling instructions to whit, no
networking is possible at all.

While in screen-saver, the cpu cycles and programs run in background.

take your pick; have the cake or eat the cake, but not both :)

Heheh - yeh, you are quite right...

I heard about some "modding" that can be done to make a custom power scheme, any ideas?

Regards,

Korrupt

I think the degree of customisability depends on your laptop model..

On my ThinkPad I just click the battery thing on the taskbar and select the scheme settings to get access to LCD, hard drive and CPU powersaving settings. Network adapters can be set in Device Manager. I got a special utility for system fan control that lets me change the speed thresholds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back