How to increase volume on C drive

Hi all!
C drive on my computer is almost full, I keep receiving notifications regarding no or less space in C drive. I have Partitioned my hard disk into 3 parts.
C drive is only 25 GB :/
D drive is 80 GB
E is close to 150 GB

I would like to increase my C drive space from 25 GB to 100 GB cutting E drive down . I am unable to do so through disk management. The option Extend Volume is grayed out. Please suggest an alternate way to increase the volume of my C drive. The OS I have is Windows 7 ultimate!!
Thank you in advance.

0. Make sure you have everything you can't afford to lose backed up.
1. Get Easeus Partition Master (the free one for home use)
2. Shrink E
3. Expand D
4. Shrink D
5. Expand C

Partition Master may let you just shrink E and expand C, but if you have a traditional partition layout the steps I listed will have to occur (even if PM hides the middle ones).

Personally, I would do 1 step at a time and reboot between each. This way if something goes wrong your chances of recovering are much greater.

The “Extend” option often will be unworkable when your free space is not continuously behind the C partition. But, that’s not to say, you have no way to increase your C drive.

In fact, you can directly use some professional partition resizing tool like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, EaseUS Partition Master and more to add enough free space to your C drive with ease.

No matter which one you choose to use, you’d better back up all important data on different drives before resizing process.

Thank you for the replies. I did try to increase the volume in C drive through easeus partition master but there is problem. I installed easeus software and found that there is another partitioned drive which doesn't show up when I open My Computer. When I open My Computer, the drivers I see are C, D, E but through easeus I see one more drive which has no name, it is represented by * I tried to merge the * drive and C drive but I received error which says "System partition and boot partition can only be set as Destination" Could you please help me out with this? What exactly is this * drive? Is there a way to change the status of the * drive?

Untitled2.jpg

The above screen shot might give you a clearer view.
Waiting for the replies

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an extended partition, and contains two logical drives - D: and E:
It slightly complicates your desire to extend C: by taking data from E:, but it can all still be done by Easius etc. Steps will need to be as follows
(1) shrink E:
(2) shrink * (the containing drive - it is selectable, but not by letter)
(3) move * to the end of the drive
(4) expand C: to take up the now unallocated space.

Last edited:
Obviously, your unallocated space is not adjacent to your C drive. That’s why you cannot increase it in Disk Management.

But, don’t worry! You also can take chances with some partition resizing tools over the internet.

Here is a video tutorial that talks about how to extend drive step by step:

Note: In case of any unwanted data loss, you’d better back up everything well at first.

Back